The Philadelphia Justice & Equity Fellowship (PJEF)
Paid, year-round internships with organizations tackling racism while building inclusivity & social justice
- 5-day Intensive Philadelphia Orientation Program May 23 - 28, 2022
- Full-time summer internship paid by CPGC Fellowship stipend of $4000 (plus more for those who have student earnings expectation and LIFTFAR)
- 10 hours/week over the academic year, paid at standard hourly wage for on-campus job
- Professional development activities throughout the program, including monthly skills-building workshops and a bi-weekly reflection group. (See 2021-22 workshop list below)
- The selection process for PJEF will prioritize students whose backgrounds reflect the communities they hope to serve, and students who have a work-study component of their financial aid package
* Students from Philadelphia and/or with a strong relationship with an organization can propose a self-designed PJEF. They should sign up for an advising appointment to discuss this option.
In many ways, but particularly through the PJEF Program, the Center for Peace and Global Citizenship connects the campus community to Philadelphia-based organizations focusing on anti-racism efforts. The CPGC will support approximately twelve PJEFs for 2022-23. Students selected for these opportunities will participate in the full summer fellowship program while getting the added benefit of continued, paid work with their internship organization for 8 hours per week in the academic year that follows.
PJEFs also engage in monthly professional development sessions and receive coaching and support from CPGC staff as well as guidance, supervision and evaluation from their host organization. Staff of PJEF Partners are invited to participate in and present workshops and activities as well. Some of the 2021-22 PJEF workshops included: trauma-informed approaches and self-care, community-driven economic development, communications for nonprofits DEI at and with Bartram's Gardens, Philanthropy 101, and a Workshop on Social Change.
CPGC Fellowship Application and Selection Process and Onboarding activities (key commitments and dates).
- May 23-28: Philadelphia Orientation Program for all CPGC Fellows engaged in Philadelphia region internships
- This is a full-time, in-person program and will entail daily trips to Philadelphia. All meals and transportation will be provided. It is timed to align with the first week HCA is available for summer rentals.
- May 31: Summer internship with partners begins, and runs 8-10 weeks; students work approximately 35 hours per week.
- July 22: Organizations and Fellows agreeing to continue the internships beyond summer confirm PJEF placements with CPGC.
- Fellows who join the PJEF cohort will continue participating in all of the CPGC Fellow activities throughout spring, summer and fall, in addition to PJEF-only activities.
- Late July: First meeting of PJEFs on campus/in Philly
- August 15: End of Summer student performance evaluation from supervisors due
Academic Year 2022-23
- Early September: PJEFs regroup on campus, engaging in reflection and planning activities, monthly professional development workshops and resume bi-weekly cohort meetings
- Second week of semester: Fellows begin working 8 hours/week with the organization, take a course of their choice related to internship, and participate in the CPGC Fellowship Fair, to which local partners are invited.
- Students will work in person, remotely, or some combination thereof, in accordance with organizational need and student availability
- Early December: Mid-year check-in reports due from PJEFs and Supervisors
- January 2023: PJEFs regroup on campus, engaging in reflection and planning activities, monthly professional development workshops and resume bi-weekly cohort meetings. Work begins with organizations in the second week of the semester.
- Early May: Program Completion and Final Celebration