For Parents and Families
We’re so excited to have you join our Chesick Scholars family! Thank you for entrusting us with the care and support of your child. We hope that the Chesick Program feels a bit like a home away from home!
First In Parent and Family Session
Wednesday, June 29, 2022
8:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Join the Session via Zoom (no Zoom account required)
We would love to tell you more about our program, so we hope you'll join us for a special First In Parent and Family Session. Here, we will give an overview of our resources, give helpful hints on how you can best support your new college student, and answer any questions you may have as you prepare for this new chapter of your child’s life! Please let us know you’ll be coming and to ask any questions you want to be sure we cover.
If you register using the form above, we will also send you a reminder a day before the program. If you are unable to attend the session live, we will post the recording here afterward.
We hope you will encourage your child to attend Horizons, our early arrival program just for Chesick Scholars. The program begins by honoring the many strengths your child brings with them to Haverford, addresses concerns common among first-generation college students, introduces them to Haverford resources and opportunities, and helps them build relationships with faculty and staff. Through workshops and activities, they will learn more about how to pursue and enhance their academic, leadership, and professional goals at Haverford. It’s also an amazing opportunity to make great friends before the rest of the first-year students even arrive!
Horizons is truly one of our most impactful programs, but we know it can be difficult to say goodbye to your child 5 days early. In order to offset any additional money they may have earned during that week, we will provide each student who attends Horizons with a $500 stipend, which can be used towards setting up their dorm room, travel expenses, or whatever else they want!
- Move-in for Horizons: Friday, August 19 between 9 a.m.–1 p.m. eastern. Parents and families are welcome to help their student move in, and eat lunch together. Then, please join us for our Chesick Scholars induction ceremony and parent send-off at 2 p.m.
- Move-in for students not attending Horizons: Wednesday, August 24 between 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Eastern Time.
Review our FAQ for more information. For additional questions, please contact hc-chesickscholars [at] haverford.edu.
- Follow us on instagram at “Haverford Chesick Scholars”
- Check out the First Year Packing List created by our FLI Student Leaders
- Encourage your child to sign up for summer programming, including our First In Information Sessions and Summer Reading and Learning Groups – remember that participation in Horizons comes with a $500 stipend!
- Review the New Students Checklist of other things your student needs to complete this summer.