To apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan:
- Print and complete the Haverford Federal Loan Request. Use this form to
- Request a Federal Direct Loan.
- Indicate how much you to wish to borrow. You do not have to request the maximum indicated on your Financial Aid Decision. If you do not request the full amount, you can always request the difference at a later time, if necessary.
- Forward the form to Renee Reichart at rreichart [at] haverford.edu. Renee is Haverford’s loan officer. She is also who you will contact with any questions regarding loans and repayment.
- Go to the student loan website operated by the U.S. Department of Education.
- You need a FSA ID to apply for your loan. This is the same FSA ID you used to complete the FAFSA. If you do not have a FSA ID, a link on the student loan website will help you create one. Keep this ID. You will need it for many financial aid purposes, both for this school year and subsequent years.
- Follow all steps on the student loan website:
- Go to “Complete Entrance Counseling” and answer the questions about your loan. This is a federal requirement.
- Follow the "Direct Loan Master Promissory Note" link. Complete the MPN, signing it with your FSA ID. You will receive confirmation from the Dept. of Education when you have successfully submitted it.
(If you have previously completed a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note for Haverford College and borrowed during the last academic year, you do not need to complete the Entrance Counseling or a new MPN again.)