Any student applying for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan must return the Federal Direct Loan Eligibility Notice. These notices are sent from the Financial Aid Office once a student’s loan eligibility has been determined, often with the Financial Aid Decision.
To apply for the Federal Direct Stafford Loan:
- Go to the student loan website operated by the U.S. Department of Education.
- You need a FSA ID to apply for your loan. This is the same FSA ID you used to complete the FAFSA. If you do not have a FSA ID, a link on the student loan website will help you create one. Keep this ID. You will need it for many financial aid purposes, both for this school year and subsequent years.
- Follow all steps on the student loan website:
- Click “Complete Entrance Counseling” and answer the questions about your loan. This is a federal requirement.
- Click the "Direct Loan Master Promissory Note" link. Complete the MPN, signing it with your FSA ID. You will receive confirmation from the Dept. of Education when you have successfully submitted it.
(If you have previously completed a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note for Haverford College and borrowed during the last academic year, you do not need to complete the Entrance Counseling or a new MPN again)