Programming and volunteer opportunities to mark the holiday.
In 2021, Juneteenth was declared a federal holiday to acknowledge and celebrate the abolition of enslaved African Americans in the United States. Consistent with Haverford's commitment to enhancing antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion work, the College is happy to recognize Juneteenth as a paid holiday starting in 2022.
The College's staff picnic on Friday, June 17 will feature Juneteenth programming including a musical selection to commemorate the moment and the holiday, and a food truck to acknowledge food of the Black diaspora—the roots of which date back to slavery.
There are many ways to get involved the entire weekend, including helping our friends at Bethel AME in Ardmore with their "Freedom on the Main Line" Juneteenth Celebration on Saturday, June 18 from 2:00–6:00 p.m. at the Vernon Young Playground, 124 Ardmore Avenue, Ardmore, PA 19003. They need volunteers to assist with set up, food distribution, kids activities, and clean up. Interested volunteers can sign up for a timeslot.
The Marilou Allen Office of Service & Community Collaboration is presenting two opportunities to contribute to local organizations and support Black community members:
- Bring physical donations for New Voices for Reproductive Justice, which is building a social change movement dedicated to the health and well-being of Black women and girls through leadership development, human rights, and reproductive justice. Items include: diapers (all sizes), pull-ups (all sizes), menstrual products (panty liners, sanitary napkins, and tampons), and condoms. These are items that they distribute to the community when doing in-person events. A collection box will be outside of the OAR in Stokes from Monday, June 13 through Thursday, June 30!
- Donate financially to the Institute for the Development of African American Youth, specifically their Young Fathers United program, which offers workshops in Family History, Family Trends, Basic Health and Childcare to approximately 100 young fathers residing in South, Southwest, West and North Philadelphia neighborhoods. This is the perfect way to honor both Juneteenth and Father's Day. Donate here!
Email us at hc-service [at] haverford.edu with your donation email receipt or let us know the item you donated to the physical collection box, you'll be entered to win a $50 giftcard from Holland & Milan Organics, a local Black-owned and -operated business that specializes in an array of holistic and wellness products! Drawing for this will take place on Friday July 1.
Attend an Event
- Johnson House Philadelphia Juneteenth Festival
- Montgomery County Juneteenth Celebration
- Juneteenth Philly, Parade and Festival
- Juneteenth Block Party: Celebrating the Legacy of Emancipation - African American Museum of Philadelphia
- Juneteenth Celebration: Reaching Back to Move Forward!
- Juneteenth NYC
- National Museum of African American History & Culture Juneteenth Events