Economics Annual Alumni Forum
In 2008 the Economics department began the yearly sponsored Alumni Forum seminar series on important economic issues of the day. Topics have included:
- 2008 Economic Issues of the Presidential Election, with David Wessel, ’75, Timothy Taylor, ’82 and Caitlin Coslett '05.
- 2009 Economics of Health Care Reform with Gerard Anderson '73, Timothy Taylor '82 and Dan Sacks, '08.
- 2010 The Economics of Climate Change with Daniel Price '77, and Haverford distinguished friend Marc Stuart and Paul Minnice '09.
- 2011 Rising Income Inequality: Causes and Consequence with Timothy Taylor '82, Jane Dokko '98 and Rebecca Saxton-Fox '06.
- 2012 The Day After the Election: The View From Washington and Wallstreet with David Wessel '75 of the Wall Street Journal, Barry Zubrow '75 of JP Morgan Chase and Ryan Fackler of the Federal Reserve. Watch Full Video
- 2013 Education and Social Mobility with George Bulman '02 of U.C. Santa Cruz, David Castro '83 of I-Lean, Inc, and moderator Linus Marco '13 of Mathematica Policy Research. Watch Full Video
- 2014 Network Neutrality and the Competitive and Economic Consequence of the Comcast-Time Warner Cable Merger with William Comanor '59 & Howard Shelanski '86, and moderator Andrew Bostick '12. Watch Full Video
- 2015 Immigration Reform: Human and Economic Perspectives on the Need for Change with Timothy Guinnane ’81 Professor of Economics at Yale University, Mario Russell ’87 Director of Catholic Charities Immigration Services and moderator Alex Ferrara ’14 with Teach for America. Watch Full Video / Download Slide Deck
- 2016 The Economics of Crime and Incarceration with Eric Sterling '73, Executive Director of the Criminal Justice Policy Foundation, Mark Kleiman '72, Director of the Crime and Justice Program at New York University’s Marron Institute of Urban Management of NYU and moderator Brianna Groh '15, Graduate Business Analyst at Aberdeen Asset Management, Inc. Watch Full Video
- 2017 Improving Health and Health-care in the United States: The Role of Government with Thomas Farley '77, Commissioner of Health for the City of Philadelphia, and Christopher Ody '04, Research Assistant Professor of Strategy, Northwestern University, and moderator Debra Gilbert '12, Ph.D. candidate in Health Economics at Johns Hopkins University. Watch Full Video
- 2018 Tariffs-Trump-Trade with moderators Marc Melitz '89, Professor of Political Economy at Harvard University and Bruce Andrews '90, Vice President of Global Public Policy at SoftBank. Jennifer Kowalski '17, Research Assistant at Princeton University, will serve as moderator. Watch Full Video with Slide Deck
- 2019 "Central Bank Independence: Monetary Policy and Financial Stability" with panelists Iqbal Zaidi '76 of Princeton University, Laurie Pounder DeMarco '95 of The Federal Reserve Board of Governors. Daniel Stackman '14 (PhD candidate at NYU) will serve as moderator. Watch Full Video
- 2020 "The COVID Economy: Health, Inequality and Macroeconomic Policy" with panelsits Gerard Anderson, PhD '73 of Johns Hopkins Schools of Public Health and Medicine, Jane Dokko '98 of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, and moderator David Wessel '75 of the Hutchins Center on Fiscal & Monetary Policy and the Brookings Institution. Watch Full Video