- 2015: Matthew Holmes '15 (First Cope)
- 2015: Thea Hogarth '11 (Second Cope)
- 2016: Kimberly Conrad '16 (First Cope)
- 2016: Saadia Nawal '16 (Second Cope)
- 2017: Kelly Dombek '17 (First Cope)
- 2017: Eric Goodman '17 (Second Cope)
- 2018: Emily Chazen '18 (First Cope)
- 2018: Lauren Benedetto '18 (Second Cope)
- 2019: Ty Joplin '16 (First Cope)
- 2019: Hangcheng Xu '19 (Second Cope)
- 2020: Mariya Krutkova '16 (First Cope)
- 2020: Feven Gezahegn '19 (Second Cope)
Cope & Murray Fellowships
Haverford offers two fellowships for graduating seniors and alumni with plans to pursue graduate study.
Applications open in early spring of each year, and awardees must enroll in their graduate program that same fall. The value of these fellowships is set annually by the Board of Managers and varies year to year.
Clementine Cope Fellowship
Established in 1899 by Clementine Cope, granddaughter of Thomas P. Cope, member of the Board of Managers from 1830 to 1849. The fellowship is to "assist worthy and promising graduates of Haverford College in continuing their studies at Haverford College or at some other institute, in this country or abroad, approved by the Board of Managers."
Students and alumni applying to a master’s or doctoral program in any discipline are eligible for the Cope Fellowship. Two recipients, designated as the First and Second Cope Fellows, are selected by the faculty each May.
CCPA - Fellowships - Cope - Past Recp.
Cope Fellowship Past Recipients
Augustus Taber Murray Fellowship
Established in 1964 by two anonymous friends "in recognition of the scholarly attainments of Augustus Taber Murray, a distinguished alumnus of Haverford College of the Class of 1885."
The fellowship is for further study in English literature or philology, the classics, or German literature or philology toward the degree of Doctor of Philosophy or its future equivalent. Only unmarried students are eligible. Further considerations are the candidate's promise of success in graduate work and the availability of other financial assistance in the proposed field of study.
One recipient is selected by the faculty each May, and recipients are eligible to re-apply for a second or third year of funding.
CCPA - Fellowships - Murray - Past Recp.
Murray Fellowship Past Recipients
- 2015: Florencia Foxley '13
- 2016: Jessica Libow '16
- 2017: Jessica Libow '16
- 2018: Leila Braun '16
- 2019: Christopher Hoogstraten '17
- 2020: Seanna Viechweg '19
Deadline: Spring 2021; exact date TBD
- a resume/C.V.
- an unofficial transcript
- a personal statement (no more than two double-spaced pages) that discusses: plans for graduate study, professional goals, and relevant extracurricular activities
- two faculty letters of recommendation