The Extern Program enables students to explore different career options by allowing a firsthand glimpse into a field of interest.
By shadowing professionals in their workplace, students can begin to explore their interests and learn about various opportunities. From two days to two weeks during Winter or Spring Break, externs observe and talk with alumni sponsors and their colleagues.
Extern Program: Informational Interviews Winter Break 2022
We are excited to launch this new, virtual program during winter break! These informational interviews will provide students with ways to make meaningful connections with our alumni community to learn about career paths, industries, and more.
How it Works
Members of the Haverford alumni community from various career fields have volunteered to host virtual informational interviews with current students during winter break.
- An informational interview will last up to 30 minutes and will be held via video conferencing technology, such as Zoom, or via phone.
- You will only need approximately 1 hour of your time over winter break to participate in an informational interview. This includes preparation and an informational interview which will last up to 30 minutes.
Be on the lookout for an email the first week of December inviting you to participate!
- December 1: You will receive information on the alumni participants.
- December 12: Deadline to submit an online application with your top 3 choices of alumni for informational interviews.
- December 17: You will be notified if paired with an alum.
Once provided the contact information for your paired alum, email them to schedule and mutually agree on a day/time for an informational interview between January 3 and 17, 2022.
Update: November 2021
We have made the difficult decision to pause the Extern Program, in its traditional form, for the 2021-2022 academic year. The Externship Program relies heavily on travel and in-person shadowing workplace experiences. As a result, there are still too many unknown factors related to COVID-19 for us to move forward. Many alumni are still working remotely or have strict visitor policies. We are hopeful the program will be re-launched for 2022-2023.
Host a Student
To learn more and register, log in to Haverford Connect and select "Externship Program."