Programs & Funding
The programming and funding functions of the Center support the faculty and students of the departments of Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Physics, Psychology, Mathematics and Statistics, and Computer Science as well as others within the college who wish to pursue research in the sciences.
The KINSC funds individual research projects and also sponsors symposia, curricular initiatives, courses, and scholarly projects that go beyond the bounds of a single discipline and involve students and faculty from multiple departments.
The range of programs supported by the KINSC is limited only by the imagination of the Haverford science community.
Currently, the KINSC supports the following activities:
- Fall research symposium, showcasing student work from Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, and other area colleges
- Travel for students to pursue academic year research with collaborators in labs either within the USA or abroad
- Travel for students to attend conferences, to present research or to gain experience applicable to future careers (in collaboration with the Green Fund)
- Support for training students (or faculty) in new science-related skills
- Science Faculty special project grants
- Events, such as research talks, film screenings, panels, etc.
- Annual career panel focusing on careers for science majors, in collaboration with the Center for Career and Professional Advising
- Annual Student Scientific Imaging Contest
- Mentoring and Student Teaching Program (MAST)
- Multicultural Scholars Program