We offer two types of courses:
- Language courses from the elementary to the advanced level that explore Greek and Latin literature
- Classical studies courses requiring no knowledge of Greek or Latin that explore topics in Greek and Roman literature, culture and society and their relation to the later western cultural tradition.
All members of the faculty teach courses of both kinds and at all levels; our classes are generally small (most under twenty students, some under ten), and we emphasize discussion.
Our department has a close collaborative relationship with Bryn Mawr’s Department of Greek, Latin, and Classical Studies: we plan our curriculum together, share the teaching, and work together with students at both colleges. Bryn Mawr is a only a mile from campus and is easily accessible via the college-run "Blue Bus" This means that students have the opportunity to study with eight faculty specializing in Classics.
In addition to these core faculty members, additional faculty in the Haverford and Bryn Mawr departments of Archaeology (at Bryn Mawr), Comparative Literature, English, History, Philosophy, Political Science, and Religion, teach courses and conduct research on subjects related to the ancient world.
- Current Year Courses
- Three-year Planner
- Tri-Co Course Search
- HC Academic Catalog Course Search
- About the Course Listings
About the Course Listings
Four views and tools each provide different ways of exploring the curriculum.
- Current Year Courses for this Department or Program lists only currently-offered classes, and includes scheduling and instructor information.
- The Three-Year Planner for this Department or Program lists all courses (in numerical order) offered during the current year and the last two years. Use it to understand the full course offerings from the department and how frequently courses are offered. This list does not include any scheduling information; instructor information is only historical and is likely to change in future years.
- The Tri-Co Course Search Engine lists the current offerings for all departments and programs at Haverford, Bryn Mawr, and Swarthmore Colleges, and includes scheduling and instructor information.
- The HC Academic Catalog Course Search Engine includes faceted searching (by division, domain, department, major, minor, and other fields) for all courses offered in the current year and the last two years. It does not contain scheduling information, but like the Three-Year Planner, can help you discover related interests and understand the typical pattern of offerings from year to year. This tool does not include all Bryn Mawr offerings.