Work on slate roof continues.
Library Building Project
Magill closed at the end of the Fall 2017 semester and reopen as the Lutnick Library when the construction is completed.
The successfully completed Lives That Speak capital campaign identified the Library as a rich opportunity to create a much-needed interactive, inviting, architecturally beautiful structure that advances and facilitates the innovative programming now offered. Critical are technologically robust spaces, active teaching and learning spaces, a Digital Scholarship Commons, a significantly enhanced Quaker & Special Collections; collaborative Group Study Rooms as well as quiet, group and individual research and study spaces. The cafe will be a welcome addition for the many students who spend countless hours working in the library.
We are pursuing sustainability standards that align with LEED Gold to reflect the College’s commitment to sustainability.
The Carvill Arch will remain where it is currently situated and will be a focal point in the view from the new Quaker and Special Collections reading room window, as well as from the events terrace.
The Philips Wing (including the loft), the 1898 addition (the current reference and reading room), and the 1912 addition (the current Quaker & Special Collections) will remain. The 1898 building will be renamed the Magill Wing to honor our heritage. Some elements of the 1967 addition will remain, but by and large the 1941 structural stacks and a major portion of the 1967 building will be demolished and replaced with a new addition. The Rufus Jones Room will also remain, and will house the circulating Quaker fiction.
Work on slate roof continues; pile installation completed. RFID tagging of book collection occurring in the warehouse.
Excavation is complete. Foundation piles installation continues. The slate roof is being replaced. You can view a time lapse view of construction to-date here.