The Duck Pond originated as a seasonal marshland, dammed in the winter for skating enjoyment and drained each summer for the farm animals to use as a pasture.
The Campus Club decided to make the pond a year-round feature in 1931 and was used by the students and community alike. In 1941 Thomas McConnell III gifted a skate house in memory of his daughter, Barbara. This building replaced an original shack and provided shelter and warmth for crowds of skaters. Hot chocolate was even sold for 15 cents a cup.
While the era of ice skating has come to an end, the pond and skate house are still cherished by students and visitors alike.