For information about Web accessibility, please contact the Webmaster at

Haverford College

Photo Info


Share | Print Friendly and PDF

Interested In Becoming A Fulbright Scholar?

Although you can apply as an "at-large candidate," applicants are strongly encouraged to do so through the colleges from which they graduated if such institutions, as Haverford does, accepts applications from alumni.  Fulbright provides opportunities either to serve as English Teaching Assistant (ETA) in over 60 countries or to conduct research in one of over 140 different countries.

Selection criteria differ from country to country but successful applicants for the ETA typically have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.55 and some teaching experience (including TA'ing or tutoring) and a GPA of 3.7 or above and some supervised research experience in order to qualify for the research grant; applicants for research projects also need to demonstrate that they have acquired a critical mass of knowledge and skills directly relevant to their projects and that they have identified a sponsor at an institution abroad who is qualified to supervise them (ETA candidates do not need to meet these latter criteria).

For more information, please consult the Fulbright US Student Program website (for which you may qualify at any age so long as you've not earned a doctorate).  If you are then interested in the possibility of pursuing an application, please contact Dean Phil Bean to arrange a consultation.  Experience suggests that opening an online application (which you does not obligate you to apply) and having strong first drafts of the required essays by late June is most consistent with faring well in the competition.  Finally, please note that September 3 is the campus deadline for the submission of your application for review by our campus Fulbright committee.

Prof. Anita Isaacs (Political Science) and students cross Founders Green after class.

Return to Site