The Haverford Writing Center’s Mark and Lillian Shapiro Speaking Initiative seeks to support Haverford students in their oral academic work. While we can provide the best speaking support through one-on-one appointments with tutors, we understand that coming in for an appointment is not always possible. Below are a number of handouts that cover every stage of the speaking process.
Developing and Delivering a Presentation
- Questions to Ask Yourself When Preparing an Oral Presentation (Tyler Bradway)
- Basic Principles of Oral Presentation (Hamilton)
- Speech Introductions and Conclusions (Hamilton)
- Basic Structure for a Research Presentation (Hamilton)
- Hamilton College Oral Communications Center (Hamilton) - Contains a number of handouts (some of which are linked directly on this page) on specific speaking strategies, in every phase of the process, and in a number of different disciplines.
Using Visual Aids
- Using Visual Support in Oral Presentations (Hamilton)
- Creating an Effective Poster (Bates)
- Designing a Presentation (Lynda.com)
- Data Visualization: Storytelling (Lynda.com)
Research Posters and Poster Presentations
- Designing and Presenting an Effective Research Poster
- Template for Research Posters (by Katie Tsai ‘16)