Study Abroad

Oxford University Partner Colleges

  • Location: Oxford, England
  • Minimum GPA: 3.7
  • Language of Instruction: English
  • Class Eligibility: Juniors


COVID-19 Protocols and Travel Warnings

You can read about this program’s COVID-19 safety protocols at this link, then read the CDC Travel Warning and U.S. State Department Travel Advisory at the respective links. For more information about Haverford College Study Abroad and the ongoing Coronavirus outbreak, read the Study Abroad homepage here.

Our partner colleges include: Mansfield College, Pembroke College, Lady Margaret Hall, St. Edmund Hall, and St. Peter’s College.

To apply to these colleges, you must first go through a specific internal application process and be nominated by the Haverford Oxbridge Faculty Committee. The deadline for this internal application is December 4. (No exceptions for late applicants.) If recommended, you will then receive an application for your specific college.

Because we have specified agreements with these colleges, if you apply, and are accepted, you are required to attend. The application itself is a binding contract. Not 100% sure? Apply to any of the other colleges that accept junior year applicants

  • Visa:

    Any student from the U.S. coming to the U.K. to study for 6 months or longer MUST get a U.K. Visa before departure. Haverford students studying abroad in the UK must qualify for a Tier 4 General Student Visa under a Points Based System (PBS). Visas must be obtained through the nearest British diplomatic post (Embassy, High Commission, or Consulate-General). Non-US citizens should consult with Oxford and the Office of International Student Support before applying to the program.

    Study Abroad & Applying for OPT Policy 

  • Fees: Upon nomination, a non-refundable $500.00 deposit is required. Students pay regular tuition to Haverford College, which will then be responsible for paying the program directly.


Academic Credit

One full year at Oxford = 8 credits at Haverford. Students who do not complete the year will not receive credit. NO EXCEPTIONS. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES CAN STUDENTS COMPRESS THEIR PRIMARY OR SECONDARY TUTORIAL TO LESS THAN 8 WEEKS OR 4 WEEKS, RESPECTIVELY! 

Major, minor, and concentration transfer credit will only be granted for courses in which students received a grade of a C or above.


It is expected that most visiting students will spend the year studying a single subject, although it may be possible to arrange tutelage in a combination of two subjects. Applicants wishing to study a ‘minor’ subject should make this clear at the time of application.

Mansfield College and St. Edmund’s Hall may permit students to study in more than one subject. Mansfield, however, will not accept students for math and sciences. Once the subjects to be studied by a Visiting Student have been agreed upon (normally, at the time a place is offered), it is expected that changes will not be made unless there are exceptional circumstances. To clarify, if you are accepted to study history, you cannot go and study philosophy unless you indicated prior to acceptance that philosophy would be a minor subject.

Normally, students will take 1 1/2 tutorials per term. For some, though not all, colleges, this means that you take you meet every week for your primary tutorial and every other week for your secondary tutorial. Thus, if a student has a major and a minor subject, they will generally take a full tutorial in their major subject (i.e., they will read one paper) and take one half tutorial in their minor subject. It must be noted that students can only apply for subjects in which they have had prior experience in college. Please check if your subject is available for study the year that you will be attending. Oxford students also attend lectures, most often given by world-famous academics. Students may attend any lecture offered in the university, which provides an informal, exciting opportunity to learn about disciplines outside your major subject.

Course Highlights

Contact Office of International Academic Programs

Note: Changes occur frequently. Students are responsible for finding the classes they need and consulting the official site of the institution.

Review the Full Academic Requirements for Studying Abroad



Number of Students


Housing/Meal Plans

Room and board fees depend on the particular college. In some programs, students pay Haverford room fees and partial Board or just room fees. St. Peter’s has a comprehensive package that includes tuition, room, and board. St. Edmund’s has partial board fee of 78 dinners. Mansfield and Pembroke charge only room fees; the student is responsible for his/her own food.


Additional Resources

Apply to Study Abroad!

  • PDF
  • Program List


  • Year
  • Science/Math/Pre-Health/CompSci Approved


  • Semester I: n/a
  • Semester II: n/a
  • Year: Early October to late June

Application Deadlines

  • Semester I: n/a
  • Semester II: n/a
  • Year: December 4

Faculty Contact