For information about Web accessibility, please contact the Webmaster at

Haverford College
Office of Residential Life
header imageheader imageheader imageheader imageheader imageheader imageheader imageheader imageheader image

Room Assignments: General Information

There are many different housing options available to Haverford students. The more knowledge you have about the Room Draw process as a whole and about specific applications procedures and deadlines, the better you will be able to make informed decisions about your housing options and how best to go about applying for them. The Housing section in the Students' Guide contains other important housing information and that may help you in making decisions on where to apply to live.

Outside having fun

First-Year Students

First-year students are assigned housing in one of four residence halls - Barclay Hall, Gummere Hall, Tritton Hall, and Haverford College Apartments (HCA). First-year rooms are assigned during the summer, after the students complete their Housing Questionnaires.

First-Year Room Assignments

Upperclass Students

Although only first-years, transfer and exchange students are required to live on campus, most upper-class students choose College housing, with generally fewer than three percent living off campus each year. Upper-class students apply for housing through two separate lotteries. The main lottery, simply called Room Draw, is held each spring for housing for the following year. A much smaller lottery, called the Mid-year Room Draw, is held in December for returning students and those currently enrolled students interested in trying to change their rooms for Semester II.

Upperclass Room Assignments

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact members of the Residential Life Committee. Please Note: Emails sent to this address are read by students on the Residential Life Committee. Correspondence of a confidential nature should be sent to Marianne Smith, Director of Residential Life.