Winter Break Notice
Winter Break begins Friday, December 22, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. and ends Monday, January 22, 2018 at 8:00 a.m.
12:00 p.m. Friday, December 22, 2017 – All club and student spaces are closed.
12:00 p.m. Saturday, December 23, 2017 – All residence halls are closed. OneCard access is deactivated
Residence halls re-open for Spring Semester at 10:00am on Saturday, January 20, 2018
Any student found in the dorms after 12 p.m. (noon) will be required to leave immediately and may be fined $150.00. Students who believe they have a legitimate need for a special accommodation must make their request to the Office of Residential Life by 5:00pm, Thursday, December 21. On Saturday, December 23, students experiencing an unexpected problem leaving by noon should immediately contact the residential life office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
When you leave for Winter Break remember to do the following:
- Please remember to take everything you need. The residence halls will remain closed and locked until 10:00am, Saturday, January 20, 2018.
- Although the residence halls are closed during break, Facilities Management, Campus Safety, outside contractors, cleaners, etc. will have access to rooms.
- If you are switching rooms, the deadline to change room keys is Wednesday, December 20 at 12:00pm as Facilities is closed after this time.
- Make sure you close and lock your windows and doors. Turn off all lights to help conserve energy.
- Please check your locks and report any problems to Facilities Management via SchoolDude before you leave. Remember to bring your key back with you when you return to campus.
- Turn off and unplug all electrical appliances. Refrigerators must be emptied, defrosted, dried, unplugged before you leave. *HCA residents do not unplug stoves or refrigerators. Reminder: If you unplug a refrigerator before defrosting – you will be held responsible for the damage caused by the resulting water leakage. Facilities Management staff will unplug any appliances left connected, including refrigerators.
- Campus Safety recommends that all valuable articles such as computers be stored in High Security Storage located in their office in the (GIAC). You may bring your articles in Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. All articles must be boxed and clearly marked with your name and year. Articles may be picked up after the break Sunday between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. The College accepts no responsibility whatsoever for any damage to or loss of student property, wherever it is located. The College will not honor claims made against it for damage or loss and strongly recommends that personal property is adequately insured by students.
- Housekeeping staff will clean the bathrooms and lounges, including cleaning the lounge carpets. Please remove all personal articles from the bathrooms and lounge areas. Those items left in those areas during the Winter Break will be discarded by Housekeeping.
- HCA Residents:
- All flat surfaces (including the floor) in the kitchen should be completely clear of pots, pans, dishes, food, etc. All surfaces in the bathrooms should be cleared as well. Facilities will be going through and cleaning both spaces during Winter Break starting December 26.
- All food should be properly stored or disposed of – do not leave any open boxes.
- Prop open doors to the under-sink cabinets in the kitchen.
- Make sure the bathroom floors are clear of any personal items as well.
- Bag all garbage and place in the exterior dumpsters.
- Please turn your thermostats down to 55 degrees.
- Campus Safety recommends that you call the office and ask for the deadlock to be put on if everyone in your apartment is going to be away. The first resident back must call to have the deadlock removed.
- All HCA basement common spaces will be cleaned over Winter Break, any belongings in those spaces will be discarded.
Most campus offices will be closed Saturday, December 23 through Tuesday, January 2. Check office websites for hours.
- Open 24/7
- Please note: The college's parking regulations are enforced 24/7 throughout the academic year, including break periods. Please do not park in areas reserved for faculty & staff during normal business hours as staff will be working regular hours during the Thanksgiving Break.
- Closes Friday, December 22 1:00 p.m. (Kitchen closes at 11:00 a.m., pizza, sushi & grab-n-go will be offered until 1:00 p.m.)
- Night hours closes on Wednesday, December 20, 11:30 p.m.
- Open January 3 – 19 from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (kitchen closes at 1:30 p.m.)
- Closed Monday, January 15
- Regular schedule resumes at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, January 22
- Closed Friday, December 22, 2:00 p.m. – Reopens Sunday, January 21, 5:00 p.m.
- On Friday, December 22, 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. a Boxed Lunch buffet is available for students who want to take a meal with them. Note: There is no meal exchange with BMC Dining unless both Dining Services are in operation.
- Open for Athletes and Winter Break residents who purchase the meal plan beginning January 11
- Closed Friday, December 22, 4:00 p.m. – Reopens Monday, January 22, 9:00 a.m.
- In the event of an emergency during this time, call Campus Safety for transport to the Bryn Mawr Hospital Emergency Room.
- Click here for a map of local Urgent Cares if you wish to see a Health Provider for a fee. Note: HC Health Services has not evaluated these providers for quality of services so utilize them at your own risk.
- Closed Friday, December 22 through Tuesday, January 2
For other campus office hours during fall break please refer to their websites.
- Friday, December 22, 4:35 p.m. Last run HC to BMC
- Monday, January 22, regular schedule resumes
- Thursday, December 21: 6:20 p.m. Last run SC to BMC; Friday, December 22 5:50 p.m. Last run SC to HC
- Monday, January 22, regular schedule resumes
- Saturday, December 22 BMC Merion Ave Bus Stop: 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.
- Saturday, December 22 Stokes Hall Bus Stop: 1:15 p.m. and 3:15 pm.
- Be sure to arrive early as the bus does not wait. The shuttle costs $12 per person and reservations should be made here. For more information, call 610-526-7570.
Haverford Train Station Pick-Ups
- Sunday, January 26, 6:45 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 9:45 p.m., 10:45 p.m., 11:45 p.m.
The Tri-Co van will pick students up from Westbound (outgoing) side of the station.
- The van will enter Haverford's campus at the Lancaster Avenue entrance (College Lane) and will drop students off, as requested, at the following locations:
- At the junction of College Lane & Coursey Road by Barclay
- At the SE corner of South Lot by the path to the HCA trail
- On Walton Road between Gummere and Leeds
- At junction of Carter & Harris Roads for the North Dorms
- Train Station Pick-ups in general: Campus Safety will pick up students at the Haverford or Ardmore Stations (R5) or the Haverford Station (R100 High Speed Line) any evening only if it is after dark and the student is alone.
Refer to the Residence Life Calendar for other important dates throughout the semester.