Winter Break 2019 Notice
Winter Break will begin on Friday, December 20th at 4:00 p.m. Residence halls will close on Saturday, December 21st at 12:00 p.m. At that time, all OneCard access will also be deactivited. Students will not be permitted to enter their rooms over the break. Residence halls will reopen on Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. Please plan accordingly.
- All residence halls will close, and OneCard access will be deactivated, at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 21, 2019.
- Any student found in the halls after 12:00 p.m. will be required to leave immediately and may be fined $250.00. Students who believe they have a legitimate need for a special accommodation must make their request to the Office of Residential Life by 5:00pm, Thursday, December 19. On Saturday, December 21, students experiencing an unexpected problem leaving by noon should immediately contact the residential life office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Residence halls re-open for the Spring semester at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 19, 2020.
When you leave for Winter Break, please remember to do the following:
- Take everything you need with you for the break – medications, passports, textbooks, etc. The residence halls will be closed and locked at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 21st and remain so until 10:00 a.m. on Sunday, January 19, 2020. Facilities Management, Campus Safety, outside contractors, cleaners, etc. will have access to rooms to do any required cleaning and maintenance.
- If you are switching rooms, the deadline to change room keys is Friday, December 20th at 12:00 p.m. Facilities will be closed after this time.
- Close and lock your windows and doors. Turn off all lights to help conserve energy.
- To insure security, check that your locks are working properly, make sure your door knobs are not loose, and report those, or any other, problems to Facilities Management via SchoolDude before you leave. Remember to bring your key back with you when you return to campus.
- If you do not live in HCA, turn off and unplug all electrical appliances. Refrigerators must be emptied, defrosted, dried, and unplugged before you leave. HCA residents should not unplug stoves or refrigerators. If you unplug a refrigerator before defrosting, you will be held responsible for the damage caused by the resulting water leakage. Facilities Management staff will unplug any appliances left connected, including refrigerators.
- Campus Safety recommends that all valuable articles such as small electronics, jewelry, passports, etc. be stored in High Security Storage located in their office in the GIAC. You may bring your articles in Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. All articles must be boxed and clearly marked with your name and year. Articles may be picked up after the break Sunday between 5:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. The College accepts no responsibility whatsoever for any damage to or loss of student property, wherever it is located. The College will not honor claims made against it for damage or loss and strongly recommends that personal property is adequately insured by students.
- Housekeeping staff will clean the bathrooms and lounges, including cleaning the lounge carpets. Please remove all personal articles from the bathrooms and lounge areas. Those items left in those areas during the Winter Break will be discarded by Housekeeping.
- HCA Residents:
- All flat surfaces (including the floors) in the kitchen should be completely clear of pots, pans, dishes, food, etc. All flat surfaces in the bathrooms should also be cleared. Facilities will be going through and cleaning both spaces during Winter Break starting December 26th.
- All food should be properly stored or disposed of – do not leave any open boxes.
- Prop open doors to the under-sink cabinets in the kitchen.
- Bag all garbage and place in the exterior dumpsters.
- Please turn your thermostats down to 55 degrees.
Please be advised: Over the Winter Break, Facilities will be cleaning out basement storage spaces in HCA 10, 18, and 19. If you have any items in these storage areas, please remove them before the break. Any items left in the storage spaces over break will be thrown away.
- Open 24/7
- The college's parking regulations are enforced 24/7 throughout the academic year, including break periods.
- Announcement: With anticipation of snow, students staying over the break with a vehicle or who are leaving vehicles on campus through the break, should park their vehicles in the Visitor Lot (behind HCA) or in the South Lot (across from the GIAC), not on Hannum Drive, as snow cannot be removed appropriately if cars are parked there. If parking in the South Lot, do not park in the back row along the Nature Trail, as this is to where snow will be pushed.
- Closes Thursday, December 19th at 2:30 p.m.
- Night hours closes on Wednesday, December 18th at 10:00 p.m.
- Opens January 6th – 17th from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Closed Monday, January 20th
- Regular schedule resumes at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 21st
- Closes Thursday, December 19th at 2:30 p.m. (Kitchen closes at 2:00 p.m.; pizza, sushi & grab-n-go will be offered until 2:30 p.m.)
- Night hours closes on Wednesday, December 18th at 11:30 p.m.
- Opens Thursday, January 2nd from 12pm-2pm; January 3rd-17th from 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (kitchen closes at 1:30 p.m.)
- Closed Monday, January 20th
- Regular schedule resumes at 8:00 a.m. on Monday, January 21st
- Closes Friday, December 20th, 10:30 a.m.
- Food trucks will be available on Friday, December 20th from 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. in front of Barclay (free of charge!). Food being offered includes:
- Papermill Fresh Asian Kitchen
- Spring Roll Burrito
- Thai Grilled Chicken "spurrito"
- Avocado Fiesta "spurrito"
- Smoked pork sandwiches
- Honey sriracha fried chicken wings
- Veggie sandwiches
- Mac and cheese
- Papermill Fresh Asian Kitchen
- Opens on Saturday, January 11th – Sunday, January 19th for any pre-coordinated group
- Residents not part of a pre-coordinated group with a partial meal plan can use their swipes during this time
- Residents on the full meal plan can purchase food from the DC at the prices listed on the bottom of their webpage.
- Regular schedule resumes on Sunday, January 19th at 5:00 p.m.
- Note: There is no meal exchange with BMC Dining unless both Dining Services are in operation.
- Closes Thursday, December 19th at 12:00 p.m.; reopens on Friday, December 20th at 9:00 a.m.
- Closes Friday, December 20th at 4:00 p.m.
- Regular schedule resumes on Monday, January 6th at 9:00 a.m.
- In the event of an emergency during this time, call Campus Safety for transport to the Bryn Mawr Hospital Emergency Room.
- Click here for a map of local Urgent Cares if you wish to see a Health Provider for a fee. Note: HC Health Services has not evaluated these providers for quality of services so utilize them at your own risk.
- Announcement: All students MUST pick up any medications or allergy serums from the Health Center prior to leaving campus for Winter Break. The Health Center is not responsible for medications left over break.
- The final run will be from HC to BMC on Friday, December 20th at 4:35 p.m
- Bus starts at 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, January 19th
- Regular service resume on Monday, January 20th
- BMC/Swat Van: Regular service will end with the 4:35pm van from swat to BMC on Friday, December 20th
- HC/Swat Van: Regular service will end with the 1:50 p.m. van from Swat to HC on Friday, December 20th
- Friday, December 20th – van will leave the BMC Merion Ave Bus Stop at 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m.; van will leave the HC Stokes Hall Bus Stop at 1:15 p.m. and 3:15 p.m.
- Be sure to arrive early as the bus does not wait. The shuttle costs $12 per person and there are a limited number of spots. Reservations should be made here. For more information, call 610-526-7570.
Haverford Train Station Pick-Ups
- Sunday, January 19th ONLY - 6:45 p.m., 7:45 p.m., 8:45 p.m., 9:45 p.m., 10:45 p.m., 11:45 p.m.
The Tri-Co van will pick students up from Westbound (outgoing) side of the station.
- The van will enter Haverford's campus at the Lancaster Avenue entrance (College Lane) and will drop students off, as requested, at the following locations:
- At the junction of College Lane & Coursey Road by Barclay
- At the SE corner of South Lot by the path to the HCA trail
- On Walton Road between Gummere and Leeds
- At junction of Carter & Harris Roads for the North Dorms
- Train Station Pick-ups in general: Campus Safety will pick up students at the Haverford or Ardmore Stations (R5) or the Haverford Station (R100 High Speed Line) any evening only if it is after dark and the student is alone.
Refer to the Residence Life Calendar for other important dates throughout the semester.