Anti-Racism at Haverford
I seek to inspire and invite us all, and to inspire Haverford College, to grow our intellectual, social, and emotional intelligence about racism, inequality, and inequities - racism and inequities in America and racism and inequities in our own ways of knowing and being.
To our Black students, staff, and faculty and to all our students and colleagues of color: I join you in grief, anger, and outrage while acknowledging—and decrying—that you bear the undue burdens of lives at risk and collective trauma when structures meant to provide civil and health protections fail.
We White members of this community need to take responsibility for doing this work. I invite all of us not yet on this path to join our students, faculty, staff, and alumni who already actively practice anti-racism, recognizing that the goal of anti-racism sits firmly in the educational mission and values of Haverford College, including the Quaker value of equality.
Let us all apply our capacities to learn, create, adapt, discover, and thrive to becoming an anti-racist institution. For if not at Haverford, where?
Fall 2020 Student Strike Archive
- Anti-Racism Commitments and Strike Responses
- November 11, 2020 Message from President Raymond
- November 10, 2020 Message from Students: For the Culture
- November 10, 2020 Meeting Between Strike Organizers and Senior Staff video and transcription
- November 9, 2020 Update from President Raymond
- Student Response to November 8, 2020 Message from President Raymond
- November 8, 2020 Message from President Raymond
- Response to President Raymond’s 11/6 Response to Revised Demands, November 8, 2020
- Revised Student Demands, November 5, 2020
- November 5, 2020 Meeting Between Strike Organizers and Senior Staff video and transcription
- November 5, 2020 Agenda: Meeting to Review Strike Demands and Responses
- President Raymond's Response to Students' HC Strike 2020 Statement & Demands
- Letter to President Raymond and Dean Bylander, October 2020 + Student Demands
Fall 2020 Community Conversations
- November 10, 2020 recording of Community Conversation
- November 11, 2020 recording of Community Conversation
Summer 2020 Open Letter and Response
- Wendy Raymond: Reply to Open Letter, July 2020
- An Open Letter to the Bi-College Community, June 2020
- Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (CODEI) Membership
- Being Anti-Racist, from the National Museum of African American History and Culture
- An Antiracist Reading List, by Ibram X. Kendi
- Anti-Racism Resources for White People and Parents