MSAR is the best resource to learn about medical schools, in-state/out-of-state acceptance rates, MCAT breakdown, and school-specific programming. The cost is $36, and a good investment.
Factors to consider
- State Residency:
- If you are a permanent resident of a state, you should strongly consider your state medical school(s) who often try to accept more than 50% state residents in each class. MSAR has these statistics for each state school.
- Review the medical school admissions website for state schools you are considering to learn how they determine state residency.
- Consider the same factors in your decision if you are applying to a state school where you are not a resident of that state.
- Curricular and educational approaches; pass/fail; testing schedule
- Special medical school programs
- Post-graduate residency placements
- Explore the American Association of Medical College’s (AAMC) FIRST (Financial Information, Resources, Services, and Tools) Program which provides free resources about financial factors to consider as you apply to medical school.