If you plan to work in the United States of America (USA) (including on-campus) you must have a Social Security number. Please visit the Director of International Student Services’s office for instructions on how to apply for a Social Security number. The Social Security Administration will process your application and a number will be sent to you in about two-three weeks.
Note: You must be in the United States for at least 10 days before you can apply for a social security number.
Required Documents (You must bring them with you)
- Social Security Application Form (SS5)
- Employment Information Form (available from the Deans Office)
- Valid passport
- I-94 card
- I-20 form
- Visa (if it's in an expired passport
- Certification letter from the Registrar
Local Social Security Administration Offices
- 1500 JFK Blvd, 20th Floor, 2 Penn Center Suite 2000A, Philadelphia, PA. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m. to 3:30p.m.
- 1700 Markley Street, First floor, Norristown, PA. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m. to 3:30p.m.
- 8645 West Chester Pike, Upper Darby, PA. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m. to 3:30p.m.
After you enter the Social Security office, be sure to take a number and wait for your number to be called before approaching the agent. Please note that in some offices automated check-in methods are used. If you carry a cell phone with you to any of these offices, it must be turned off. The use of cell phones is prohibited in these buildings! Please visit the Social Security website for information regarding office hours, the application process, and more.