Living & Working in the U.S.

  • Employment

    In order to be eligible for employment, F-1 visa holders must be:

    • In valid F-1 visa status–enrolled for a full course of study
    • Authorized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and/or the Office of the Dean of the College

    Once employment is authorized, you must maintain your eligibility, or you may lose your right to continue employment.

    The ISSO recommends consulting with the Office of the Dean of the College before beginning any type of employment. Any illegal employment – even for one day, even if you did not know it was illegal–poses a threat to your ability to remain in or return to the United States.

    On-Campus Employment

    Haverford College Employment

    Haverford students in valid F-1 visa status are permitted to work on campus for a total of 20 hours per week when school is in session or full-time during annual vacations. Any work performed through the College’s campus employment program, whether in the Dining Center/Coop, the Library, various offices, or labs, is always acceptable. Work required by a fellowship or assistantship is also acceptable.

    Other Employment on Haverford College’s Premises

    This includes work performed on campus for an outside contractor or firm, if this work provides direct services to students.

    Off-Campus Work Which Qualifies as On-Campus Employment

    Certain types of employment performed at an off-campus site may qualify as on-campus employment if:

    • The location is educationally affiliated with Haverford College,
    • The educational affiliation is associated with Haverford’s establishment, and
    • The work is an integral or important part of your program of study.

    Working at Bryn Mawr College or Swarthmore College fits the above criteria; however, working at the University of Pennsylvania or Villanova University, for example, does not qualify under these provisions.

    Off-Campus Employment

    To be eligible for off-campus employment, you must have been in valid F-1 visa status for at least one academic year. Please contact the ISSO if you are considering off-campus employment.

  • Social Security

    If you plan to work during your time in the United States (including on-campus jobs), you must obtain a Social Security number. For information about applying for a Social Security number, please see the Social Security website. You may also visit the ISSO for application instructions and information.

    Documents Required to Apply for a Social Security Number:

    • Social Security Card application form
    • Employment information (available from the Dean’s Office)
    • Valid passport
    • I-94 card
    • I-20 form
    • Visa (if it is in an expired passport)
    • Certification letter from the Registrar’s Office

    Note: You must be in the United States for at least 10 days before you are eligible to apply for a Social Security number. Processing time is usually 2-3 weeks.

  • Taxes

    Whether you have worked in the United States or not, F-1 visa holders are required to file Form 8843 with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

    Form 8843 is not an income tax return; it is an informational statement required by the United States government. You do not need a Social Security number to complete Form 8843. Forms and instructions may be obtained from the ISSO.

    Federal Taxes

    If you have worked in the United States (including on-campus jobs), you must complete a United States Federal Tax Return (Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ).

    International students at Haverford College have free access to Glacier Tax Prep, a tax return program designed to aid international students and scholars in preparing their United States tax returns. Beginning February 15, you may contact Denise Allison ( for your confidential access code. Additional information about filing federal taxes is available at the ISSO.

    Pennsylvania State Taxes

    Information on the Pennsylvania Personal Income Tax for Residents and Non-Residents is available on the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue website. Additional information about filing state taxes is available at the ISSO.

    Note: The annual deadline for filing taxes is April 15.

  • I-20 Form

    If you misplace your I-20 form, you will need to have a new one delivered to Haverford College.

    Students are responsible for maintaining the I-20 form they received from Haverford and used to enter the United States. If need to replace your I-20 form, you must pay the cost of delivery. Haverford uses an express mail service, eShipGlobal (pdf).

  • Other Forms

    You may need to update your I-20 or SEVIS forms if your permanent address changes, when you declare a major, or when other circumstances change.