Technology steps for power outage Saturday 8/18/18
In order to prepare for the electrical maintenance this Saturday please be sure to power down any technology in your area before leaving for the weekend. This includes computers, printers, copiers and anything else that could be damaged by a sudden loss of power.
On Saturday, August 18, crews will be on site to perform maintenance on the high voltage switchgear across campus. Every five to six years all the high voltage switchgear across campus requires cleaning, tightening, inspection, testing & IR scanning. This work is necessary in order to ensure the continued reliability and safety of the building electrical distribution systems across campus.
A crew of approximately 24 technicians will be on site to perform the Work. The crew will included BSI Electric, Burlington Testing and Facilities technicians.
The Work will proceed as follows:
Friday, August 17
Prep work, walk through & safety meeting. Prep work includes placement of temporary generator, transformers and cable at the Central Heating Plant (CHP), temporary lighting in work areas, etc.
Saturday, August 18
- 5:00 AM to 6:00 AM - Prep work; open manholes, start generators (Stokes,GIAC & WCC), connect temporary lights in work areas and removal of equipment covers.
- 6:00 AM to 7:00 AM - Shut off power to entire campus. Start temporary connections of generator at CHP to KINSC. Perform maintenance on KINSC Switchgear.
- 7:00 AM - Re-energize KINSC & rest of campus except for the WCC, Tritton, Kim, Ira Reid & the HCA Apartments.
- 7:15 AM to 5:00 PM - Performance maintenance in each building. Each building will lose power for approximately one hour, in order to safely enable the Work.
- 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM - Shut off power to the entire campus. Re-configure KINSC connection to the campus electric loop. Re-energize entire campus and check buildings.