Serendipity Day Camp Senior Counselors (Sixteen available positions)
Haverford College seeks to hire sixteen (16) temporary, non-exempt Senior Counselors for Serendipity Day Camp.
Serendipity is a summer day camp at Haverford College which serves children and their families in the local community and provides opportunities for employment and development for Haverford students and local youth as counselors. The camp runs from June through August, 2019.
Serendipity Senior Counselors supervise the Serendipity campers assigned to their bunk and to the activities that they facilitate; they carry the primary responsibility for ensuring the safety and well-being of the campers, and work in collaboration with one another and oversee the work of the Junior Counselors. Senior Counselors work under the direction of the Camp Co-Directors and the Assistant Camp Director in the planning and logistics for the day-to-day operations of the camp.
The successful candidate will be a current college student graduate, and/or a former Serendipity senior or junior counselor who has experience working with children and young adults in a day-camp setting; the ability to work in a diverse community; and can work in close collaboration with a broad range of individuals.
The candidate should have demonstrated ability to mentor children and adolescents from a wide range of backgrounds, and respond to new opportunities and challenges with creativity, grace, and a good sense of humor.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Ensures the safety and well-being of campers assigned to their bunk/activities and entrusted to their care
- Works under the direction of the Camp Co-Directors and Assistant Camp Director, in collaboration with other Senior Counselors to:
- Support and mentor Junior Counselors
- Manage the overarching structure of camp schedule
- Facilitate logistics
- Communicates with Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director re. any camper-related issues and concerns
- Acts as point-person with parents/guardians and facilitates camper drop off/pick up
- Works in collaboration and open communication with Haverford staff members regarding camp logistics and programmatic concerns
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Current college student, previous experience at Serendipity Day Camp preferred;
- 1-3 years of experience working in youth programming or a related area preferred;
- Experience working with a wide range of individuals
- Excellent communication and time management skills, and great attention to detail;
- Interest in working with children, adolescents, and young adults
- Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain, PA Act 153 child abuse clearances.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 3-6 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 3-6 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): 3-6 hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): 3-6 hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): 3-6 hours
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit their online application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references, by visiting https://forms.haverford.edu/view.php?id=568217. To receive full consideration, please apply by Friday, March 8, 2019.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.