Serendipity Day Camp Junior Counselors (Eight available positions)
Haverford College seeks to hire eight (8) temporary, non-exempt Junior Counselors
Serendipity is a summer day camp at Haverford College which serves children and their families in the local community and provides opportunities for employment and development for Haverford students and local youth as counselors. The camp runs from June through August, 2019.
Serendipity Junior Counselors help supervise the Serendipity campers assigned to their bunk and to the activities that they facilitate; they work under the direction of Senior Counselors, the Assistant Camp Director, and the Camp Director in working to ensure the safety and well-being of the campers. Junior Counselors help facilitate the logistics for the day-to-day operations of the camp as directed. The successful candidate will be a current high school student, and/or a former Serendipity camper who has an interest working with children and young adults in a day-camp setting; the ability to work in a diverse community; can work in close collaboration with a broad range of individuals; and the ability to respond to new opportunities and challenges with creativity, grace, and a good sense of humor.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Works under the direction of the Camp Co-Directors and Senior Counselors to ensure the safety and well-being of the campers assigned to their bunk/activities, and works in collaboration with all camp staff
- Arrives on time each day to help facilitate camp activities and logistics
- Communicates any camper-related issues and concerns to Senior Counselors and Co-Directors
- Directs parents/guardians to appropriate Serendipity staff for questions and concerns
- Maintains a positive and enthusiastic attitude, taking responsibility for assignments and working cooperatively with all camp/Haverford staff
Education, Training, & Experience:
- 9th graders and up are eligible (former campers should wait at least one year before applying)
- Experience working with children and/or adolescents
- Interest in working with a wide range of individuals
- Good communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to respond to feedback and willingness to learn new skills
- Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain, Act 153 Child Abuse clearances
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 3-6 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 3-6 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): 3-6 hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): 3-6 hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): 3-6 hours
Interested applicants should submit their online application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references, by visiting https://forms.haverford.edu/view.php?id=567511. To receive full consideration, please apply by Friday, March 8, 2019.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.