Serendipity Day Camp Co-Directors (Two available positions)
Haverford College seeks to hire two temporary, non-exempt Co-Directors for Serendipity Day Camp.
The Co-Director oversees the day-to-day operations of Serendipity, a summer day camp at Haverford College, serving children and their families in the local community and providing opportunities for employment and development for Haverford students and local youth as counselors.
The Camp Co-Director works closely with children aged 6 – 12 and their families, junior counselors (drawn from the local community), senior counselors (including Haverford students as well as other college students), and Haverford College staff.
The successful candidate has substantive experience working with children and young adults in a day-camp setting; has the ability to work in a diverse community; and can work in close collaboration with a broad range of individuals, offices and constituencies.
The candidate should have demonstrated ability to mentor young adults from a wide range of backgrounds, and the ability to respond to new opportunities and challenges with creativity, grace and a good sense of humor.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Manages overarching structure of camp schedule
- Oversees the daily operations of a camp with approximately 175 campers and a staff of 25
- Participates in hiring of senior and junior counselors, and planning staff orientation
- Attends to staff issues and concerns that arise over the course of the summer
- Acts as the primary point person for parents/guardians
- Works in collaboration and open communication with Haverford staff members regarding camp logistics and programmatic concerns.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- B.A. preferred;
- Two to five years of experience working in education, youth programming, or a related field preferred;
- Experience working with a wide range of individuals, and an astute understanding of how to create effective partnerships that draw upon the experiences and knowledges of diverse communities;
- Excellent communication and time management skills, and great attention to detail;
- Experience managing a budget;
- Experience cultivating an ethos and practice of collaboration for staff members who have diverse experiences and capacities.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record check
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an object to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 3-6 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 3-6 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): 3-6 hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): 3-6 hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): 3-6 hours
Interested applicants should submit their online application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references, by visiting https://forms.haverford.edu/view.php?id=380118. To receive full consideration, please apply by Friday, March 8, 2019.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.