Serendipity Day Camp Assistant Director
Haverford College seeks to hire a temporary, non-exempt Assistant Camp Director to support the work of the Camp Co-Directors in the planning and logistics for the day-to-day operations of camp.
Serendipity is a summer day camp at Haverford College, which serves children and their families in the local community and provides opportunities for employment and development for Haverford students and local youth as counselors. The camp runs from June through August, 2019.
The Assistant Camp Director works closely with junior counselors who are drawn from the local community, senior counselors (a cohort that includes Haverford students as well as other college students), and Haverford College staff.
The successful candidate has experience working with children and young adults in a day-camp setting; the ability to work in a diverse community; and can work in close collaboration with a broad range of individuals and office.
The candidate should have demonstrated ability to mentor young adults from a wide range of backgrounds, and respond to new opportunities and challenges with creativity, grace, and a good sense of humor.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Supports the work of the Camp Co-Directors in planning the overarching structure of camp schedule
- Under the direction of the Camp Co-Directors, facilitates the logistics for the day to day operations of a camp with approximately 175 campers and a staff of 25
- Helps facilitate the planning of staff orientation and communicates to the Camp Co-Directors and any staff issues and concerns that arise
- Helps facilitate communication between parents/guardians and camp staff
- Works in collaboration and open communication with Haverford staff members regarding camp logistics and programmatic concerns
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Current college student, previous experience at Serendipity Day Camp preferred;
- 0-2 years of experience working in education, youth programming, or a related field preferred;
- Experience working with a wide range of individuals, and an astute understanding of how to create effective partnerships that draw upon the experiences and knowledges of diverse communities;
- Excellent communication and time management skills, and great attention to detail;
- Experience cultivating an ethos and practice of collaboration for staff members who have diverse experiences and capacities
- Valid driver’s license and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record check
- Possession of, or ability to obtain and maintain, Act 153 child abuse clearances
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an object to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 3-6 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 3-6 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): 3-6 hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): 3-6 hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): 3-6 hours
Interested applicants should submit their online application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references, by visiting https://forms.haverford.edu/view.php?id=375166. To receive full consideration, please apply by Friday, March 8, 2019.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.