Postdoctoral Scholar (Intersectionality in the Social Mind Lab)
Haverford College invites applications to our available full time (at least 37.5 hours per week), exempt, benefit eligible Postdoctoral Scholar position.
. This position is offered for an initial one year fixed term appointment, with the possibility of an additional year contingent upon successful performance in the position. The preferred start date is July 1, 2022. The Intersectionality in the Social Mind Lab at Haverford College postdoctoral scholar will oversee an NSF-funded project that takes an intersectional perspective on children’s social categorization.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
The postdoctoral scholar will facilitate all aspects of the funded research project, including interviewing adults, preschoolers, and school-age children; collecting and analyzing data from large-scale surveys; creating and maintaining community partnerships; and designing testing instruments for both adults and children. In addition, the postdoc will be responsible for supporting the lab coordinator in training and supervising undergraduate research assistants, cultivating a team orientation, and fostering a high degree of professionalism among lab members. Other primary duties will include preparing presentations and materials for meetings and drafting papers for submission to journals and conferences.
Line of Report: The postdoc will report directly to the Principal Investigator (PI) of the lab.
Education, Training, & Experience:
This position requires a PhD degree in psychology or a related field within cognitive science with at least some relevant research experience with children. The ideal applicant will have excellent organizational skills, strong writing skills, and the ability to multi-task and work independently. Proficiency with statistical analysis (especially in R), programming, and prior experience providing support in a lab environment is preferred. Attention to detail is crucial.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Three to six hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Up to three hours
- Pulling (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction: Three to six hours
- Pushing (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction): Three to six hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Three to six hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Three to six hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Three to six hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Three to six hours
- Exposure Limitation : Three to six hours
Special Requirements: All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
Ability to obtain and maintain PA Act 153 Child Abuse Clearances.
Possession of a valid U.S. Drivers' License and ability to successfully pass a Motor Vehicle Record Check.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To Apply: Interested applications are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Cam.... The application deadline is January 10, 2022. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.