PostDoc/PostBac Research Associate
Haverford College seeks to hire a full time (at least 37.5 hours per week), exempt, fixed term (one year appointment with the possibility of extension to a second year, based on needs of the project and successful performance evaluation), benefit eligible PostDoc/PostBac Research Associate.
The PostDoc/PostBac Research Associate will work in the Mathieson lab, which focuses on developing machine learning and graph-based algorithms for genetic data. The specific project involves understanding the unique evolutionary histories of diverse populations, both in humans and other species. The post doc/post bac research associate will help develop and/or apply a machine learning framework that accurately captures the features of genetic data from any population. This framework will then be used to understand mutation, recombination, and selection, with a focus on human populations. As part of the Mathieson lab, there would be opportunities to publish research papers, travel to conferences, give scientific talks, and mentor junior lab members. If interested, the post doc/post bac research associate would also have opportunities to develop teaching skills and interact with collaborators at the University of Pennsylvania. This position could be filled either as a post-bac or post-doc position with salary depending on qualifications and experience.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Conduct experiments, analysis, and algorithm development in the Mathieson lab
- Help maintain computational resources in the Mathieson lab
- Support and assist undergraduate researchers in the Mathieson lab with their work
- Communicate the work of the Mathieson lab through manuscripts, talks, and posters
Line of Report: Employee will report to Sara Mathieson (Assistant Professor). No one will report to the employee.
Education, Training, & Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree for hiring at the post-baccalaureate level
PhD for hiring at the post-doctoral level
Degree(s) could be in a range of areas including Computer Science, Biology, Statistics, or related fields
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Three to six hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Never
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Six to eight hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Never
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
To Apply: Interested candidates should complete an application to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/PostDoc-PostBac-Research-Associate_R287-1. While the priority application deadline has now passed, applications will be considered until April 30, 2021. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.