Part Time General Food Service Worker
Haverford College seeks to hire a part time (18 hours per week), non-exempt, General Food Service Worker.
The General Food Service Worker will perform a variety of duties associated with the utility functions (sanitation, stocking, set-up/break-down, etc.) within the Dining Center. Position requires maintaining the highest level of customer service at all times. This year-round position requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed. This position is considered essential staff and must work during declared inclement weather days.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Scrapes and rinses food from dirty dishes and washes them by hand or places them in racks or on conveyor to dishwashing machine depending on assigned equipment. Ensures complete cleanliness and sanitation.
- Washes pots, pans and trays based on assigned procedures. Ensure complete cleanliness and sanitation.
- Ensures compliance with outlined safety procedures.
- Maintains temperatures and chemical levels as outlined by provided standards.
- Keeps dish area orderly and in compliance with safety standards.
- Sweeps and mops floors to ensure compliance with safety and sanitation standards.
- Washes dining tables, prep tables, walls, refrigerators, meat blocks and other food prep surfaces.
- Removes trash and recyclables and places in designated containers. Steam cleans or hoses out garbage cans.
- Transfers supplies and equipment between storage and work areas.
- Helps load and unload supplies and product.
- Assist in training of student worker staff.
- All other duties as assigned or directed.
Line of Report: Position reports directly to supervisor and manager on duty.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- At least one year of experience in a food service utility role
- Experience in a college / university environment is preferred
- Ability to utilize food service sanitation equipment such dish machine, pot sinks, mops/brooms, utility carts, and cleaning chemicals is required
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly communicate verbally and in written format to process menu/production sheets
- Must have working knowledge of safety precautions associated with the food service industry
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions in evenings and on weekends on an as needed basis
- This position is considered essential staff and must work during declared inclement weather days
- This position requires the ability to transport catering items between work stations and numerous buildings on campus buildings
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) 6-8 hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): 6-8 hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): 3-6 hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Up to three hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: 6-8 hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): 6-8 hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): 6-8 hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): 6-8 hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 3-6 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 6-8 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): 6-8 hours
Covid-19 Vaccination: All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references as a single pdf or Word document by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/General-Food-Service-Worker_R338. The review of applications will commence on April 13, 2022 and will continue until the position is filled. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.