Haverford College seeks to hire a full time, exempt, benefit eligible Investment Analyst.
The Investment Analyst, as a member of the Investment Office team that oversees the investment of the College’s endowment, will report to the Chief Investment Officer and work closely with the senior investment professionals and Investment Committee across all aspects of the Haverford endowment. As an integral member of the Investment Office, the Investment Analyst will be involved in operational and analytical support for the management of the College’s endowment. The Investment Analyst will be involved in a range of activities, including preparing portfolio reporting, research and analytical system management, market research, due diligence, and other analyses relating to the management of the endowment portfolio. This position provides an excellent opportunity for a junior investment professional to immediately contribute to the oversight of a $500+ million endowment through operational, analytical, and research responsibilities, while developing their investment knowledge across asset classes to expand their investment research and due diligence responsibilities.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Enhances and manages investment analytical and research management systems to support the investment due diligence process, ensuring completeness of information within the systems
- Supports the operational work of the Investment Office, including working with the College’s Controller’s Office, Advancement Office, external administrator, banks, consultants, and investment managers to ensure proper performance measurement, cash management, audit support, and information availability for endowment investments
- Contributes to monitoring of existing investments and external investment managers, including attendance at annual meetings and ad-hoc meetings with investment managers with responsibility for drafting meeting notes, and updating the investment team on any pertinent issues
- Assists the investment team with investment manager due diligence and recommendations across a variety of asset classes, including traditional and alternative strategies; supports research on investment strategies, asset classes and markets relevant to the portfolio
- Prepares performance reports, risk analysis, investment updates and recommendations, and presentation materials for the Investment Committee
- Supports the investment team by responding to requests for information on current fund investments
- Performs special projects related to the endowment or finances of the College, acts as a resource to other areas of the College, and assumes other responsibilities, as assigned
Line of Report: The Investment Analyst reports to the Chief Investment Officer. There are currently no reports to the Investment Analyst.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Major coursework in finance, economics or related field preferred; progress toward CFA and/or CAIA is a plus.
- One to three years of investment-related work experience in an institutional setting, such as an endowment, foundation, family office, consultant or similar institution is preferred. Knowledge of financial and investment theory and experience with investment analysis required.
- Strong analytical ability and computer literacy with Microsoft Office suite required; experience with investment performance, analytical, and research management software/systems preferred.
- Candidates should be excited to work as an integral member of a relatively small and close-knit team, and willing to take on a broad range of tasks as needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication ability, and organizational and time management skills are essential, along with outstanding attention to detail and exceptional character.
- Commitment to the mission of Haverford and ability to interact and gain credibility with senior College personnel, Investment Committee, and external investment managers; must be able to work both independently and within a small team, in a shared decision-making environment.
- Ability to travel overnight and out-of-town as necessary, on average several days per month.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Never
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Never
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Never
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Never
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Never
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Never
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): six to eight hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Never
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
To apply: Interested candidates should complete an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Investment-Analyst_R227. The application deadline is Friday, November 1, 2019. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.