Information Technology Integration and Data Specialist
Haverford College invites applications for our full-time (at least 37.5 hours per week), exempt, benefits-eligible Information Technology Integration and Data Specialist opportunity.
Haverford Offers Great Benefits: The College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes possible work-from-home opportunities, automatic 10% retirement contribution to your retirement account upon eligibility (no match required), a 50% tuition benefit for dependent children upon eligibility, 14 paid holidays (including the week before New Year’s Day off), Health Savings Account contribution of $650 for individuals and$1300 for families (no match required), affordable medical plans, and a beautiful arboretum campus with walking trail and easy public transportation access. Please visit the Benefits page (https://www.haverford.edu/human-resources/benefits) for more information.
Work Location: This position will be eligible for a hybrid work schedule, pursuant to the College’s Work Location Policy.
About the Position
The Information Technology (IT) Integration and Data Specialist is a crucial IT position that supports the College’s data integration and analytics initiative. Under the direction of the Director of Data and Analytics Infrastructure, the IT Integration and Data Specialist works closely with Instructional & Information Technology Services (IITS), Institutional Research (IR), and other stakeholders to facilitate two core functions: They have a hands-on role in the integration and administration of a comprehensive business intelligence platform. They also play an integral role in facilitating and supporting the data governance work which includes data quality, security, privacy, and data lineage by implementing data governance tools and processes, to monitor compliance with established college policies and general best practices.
System administration and support for Integrated Data Repository (IDR) (Cloud based, vendor supported Data Lake/Warehouse):
- Deploy, maintain, and administer database integration processes (between the IDR and source systems) in collaboration with the vendor and IITS staff
- Manage and monitor changes to the integrated data repository, including data sources, data models, and data integration processes. Collaborate with data managers, IITS team, and end-users to ensure that any changes are implemented smoothly and do not impact data quality or system performance
- Run periodic security audits to ensure that the integrated system remains secure and compliant with data governance policies
System administration and support for other HC systems:
- Support integration strategies and plans, data mapping, and transformation processes to ensure data consistency and compatibility between the various integrated systems
- Conduct ongoing testing and quality assurance (QA) procedures to identify and resolve integration issues, ensuring data integrity and system stability, including the review and transformation (where applicable) of datasets prior to integration; QA of integrated data repository data flows; ongoing auditing of unified data sets
Data management and governance support for the work of the Data Stewardship Committee (DSC):
- Document data source, definition, and methodology for key reported metrics–subject to review by the DSC
- Provide support in ensuring the system generated data catalog (includes Data Dictionary, Lineage, Meta Data) is accurate and complete
- Collaborate with Data Domain Stewards in the articulation of key data descriptors for and within domains such as students, employees, curricular features, financial measures, etc. in order to further the understanding and use of the most appropriate data for internal reporting and informed decision-making
- Guided by the institution’s governance principles, develop and maintain data standards that ensure the accuracy, completeness, and consistency of data across the college. This includes monitoring the established data elements, quality metrics, and classification within the data repository
- In collaboration with campus partners, ensure the appropriate inventorying and archiving of external reports submitted by Data Stewards on behalf of the College
- Actively work on developing and improving reporting and related processes using available reporting tools, creating self-service, refreshable products where possible
- Play a pivotal hands-on role in Building and maintaining a knowledge base or a centralized repository of information that includes step-by-step processes and workflows, frequently asked questions (FAQs), troubleshooting guides, and best practices to provide clarity and guidance
- Provide support to end-users and other stakeholders, by responding to user queries and providing first line of technical assistance related to the Integrated Data Repository
- Be able to transform data from different formats and sources (source systems or integrated system) into a consistent and usable format for analysis and reporting. This could involve data cleaning, normalization, aggregation, and other transformations
Line of Report: The Information Technology Integration and Data Specialist reports to Director of Data and Analytics Infrastructure, and has no direct reports.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems or related fields; or equivalent professional experience (such as internships, certifications, and related trainings) if Bachelor’s Degree is not in a non-related field
- 3 years of hands-on experience in systems integration, database management data warehousing, and/or data lake technologies, and the creation and maintenance of reports
- Knowledge of database normalization, indexing, partitioning, and optimization techniques
- Proficiency in Structured Query Language (SQL) with ability to build queries and scripts to manipulate and transform data
- Hands-on knowledge of developing reports with experience in any of the enterprise reporting tools such as SAP Business Objects, IBM Cognos, Tableau, or Microsoft Power BI
- Familiarity with modern data visualization and analysis tools and techniques with a willingness to learn new skills and techniques, and to adapt to changes in project requirements or priorities
- Ability to work well with campus partners while fostering an operational excellence and continuous improvement ethos
- Possess effective verbal and written communication skills with ability to listen actively, ask questions, and clarify any doubts or concerns
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with others in a team environment
- Experience with PCI, HIPAA, FERPA, GLBA and other compliance standards
- Cloud platform and solutions experience, preferably with Snowflake/EAB Edify or similar cloud based integrated analytics platforms
We are aware that some people are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every qualification in the job description including the preferred qualifications. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and recognize that a successful candidate may come from a less traditional career trajectory, such as having skills and abilities gained outside a classroom context, or an equivalent skill set. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our preferred qualifications.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter and resume, by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Information-Technology-Integration-and-Data-Specialist_R540. The application deadline is December 12, 2023. Application review will begin after the deadline has passed. Please email recruiting [at] haverford.edu with questions about submitting your materials. Should the search committee be interested in pursuing your candidacy, you will hear from them directly. Finalists will be asked to provide three professional references.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.