General Food Service Worker –Part Time
Haverford College seeks to hire four (4) part time (30 hours per week for both fall and spring semesters), non-exempt General Food Service Workers.
The General Food Service Workers perform a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of meals and sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the Dining Center. The positions require maintaining the highest level of customer service at all times. This Temporary, non-exempt hourly position requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities
- Serve meals to customers ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining the highest level of customer service. Update temperature logs at each meal and communicate needs to cooks.
- Maintain front of house serving areas including beverage stations, salad & deli bars, serving lines, snack and dessert areas and dining room. Ensure areas are fully stocked, visual presentation is correct, and areas are clean.
- Work as cashier for the dining hall. Swipe ID cards for students and guests who have a meal plan, and accurately process all cash transactions.
- Assist in basic food preparation for meals. Tasks may include slicing deli meats & cheeses, chopping vegetables, preparing salads, desserts, & fruits as well as cleaning work area and equipment used.
- Familiarity with basic cooking procedures which may include steaming, baking, deep frying, and grilling.
- Assist in sanitation tasks of the dining operation. This includes working in the dish room / pot room, maintaining trash and recycling areas in dining center, sweeping & mopping, and wiping tables and counter tops.
- Adhere to standards outlined by sanitation program (Serve Safe) and local, state, and federal guidelines.
- Assist in training of student worker staff.
- Other duties as assigned or directed.
Line of Report
These positions report to the Resident Operations Manager. There are no direct reports to these positions.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Training, and Experience)
- 1 year of previous food preparation experience, including basic cooking in commercial and/or institutional foodservice operation
Professional Competencies (Skills)
- Ability to read and follow recipes and production sheets
- Ability to properly use various knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to portion, cut, slice, score, julienne, whip, beat, or otherwise prep food
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to utilize dining service equipment such as slicer, deep fryer, grill and steamer
- Proficient in communicating orally and in writing to co-workers and management
- Previous cashier experience
- All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination (to include a booster dose when eligible) unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
- Must have, or be able to maintain, current Serv Safe certification.
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions in evenings and on weekends on an as needed basis.
- This position is considered essential staff and must work during declared inclement weather days.
- This position requires the ability to transport catering items between work stations and numerous buildings on campus buildings.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required for this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) six to eight hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): up to three hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): six to eight hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Three to six hours
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references as a single Word document or pdf by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/General-Food-Service-Worker-Four-Available-Part-Time-Positions_R267. The application deadline is February 8, 2022. Application review begins after deadline has passed.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.