General Food Service Worker (The Coop), Part-Time
Haverford College invites applications for our year-round, part-time (18 hours per week), non-exempt, General Food Service Worker (The Coop) opportunity.
The General Food Service Worker performs a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of meals and sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the Dining Center. This position requires a high level of customer service at all times. The schedule for this position is Monday to Thursday, 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm. This schedule may be subject to temporary change to meet business needs, which may require working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Serve meals to customers, ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining the highest level of customer service
- Update temperature logs at each meal and communicate needs to cooks
- Maintain front of house serving areas including beverage stations, salad and deli bars, serving lines, snack and dessert areas, and dining room. Ensure areas are fully stocked, visual presentation is correct, and areas are clean
- Work as a cashier for the Retail and dining hall operations: swipe ID cards for students and guests who have a meal plan, and accurately process all cash or credit card transactions
- Assist in basic food preparation for meals. Tasks may include slicing deli meats and cheeses; chopping vegetables; preparing salads, desserts, and fruits; as well as cleaning work area and equipment used
- Assist in sanitation tasks of the dining operation. This includes working in the dish room and pot room, maintaining trash and recycling areas in the Retail operations or dining center, sweeping and mopping, and wiping tables and countertops
- Adhere to standards outlined by sanitation programs (Serve Safe) and local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist in training of student worker staff
- All other duties as assigned or directed
Line of Report: The Coop General Food Service Worker reports to the Retail Operations Manager, as well as Dining Services managers and supervisors.
- Current Serv Safe certification or the ability to obtain certification
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficient in communicating orally and in writing to customers, co-workers, and management
- Demonstrated ability to read and follow written instructions, menus, and production sheets
- Ability to perform simple arithmetic
- Good manual dexterity and good sight
- Ability to be mobile between workstations and numerous campus buildings
- Working knowledge of safety precautions associated with the food service industry
- Familiarity with basic cooking procedures which may include steaming, baking, deep frying, and grilling
- Demonstrated ability to utilize dining service equipment such as slicer, deep fryer, grill, and steamer
- Prior cashier experience
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
- Must be able to stand for periods up to 4 hours at a time, bend over, lift up to 50 pounds, and climb stairs
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter and resume by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/General-Food-Service-Worker--The-Coop---Part-Time_R529. The application deadline is October 2, 2023. Application review will begin after the deadline has passed. Please email recruiting [at] haverford.edu with questions about submitting your materials. Should the search committee be interested in pursuing your candidacy, you will hear from them directly. Finalists will be asked to provide three professional references.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands