General Food Service Worker
Haverford College invites applications for our year-round, full-time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt, benefits-eligible General Food Service Worker opportunity.
Haverford Offers Great Benefits: The College offers a comprehensive benefits program that includes work-from-home opportunities, automatic 10% retirement contribution to your retirement account upon eligibility (no match required), a 50% tuition benefit for dependent children upon eligibility, 14 paid holidays (including the week before New Year’s Day off), Health Savings Account contribution of $650 for individuals and $1300 for families (no match required), affordable medical plans, and a beautiful arboretum campus with walking trail and easy public transportation access. Please visit the Benefits page (https://www.haverford.edu/human-resources/benefits) for more information.
The General Food Service Worker performs a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of meals and sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the Dining Center. This position requires a high level of customer service at all times, requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Serve meals to customers, ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining the highest level of customer service
- Update temperature logs at each meal and communicate needs to cooks
- Maintain front of house serving areas including beverage stations, salad and deli bars, serving lines, snack and dessert areas, and dining room. Ensure areas are fully stocked, visual presentation is correct, and areas are clean
- Work as cashier for the dining hall: swipe ID cards for students and guests who have a meal plan, and accurately process all cash transactions
- Assist in basic food preparation for meals. Tasks may include slicing deli meats and cheeses; chopping vegetables; preparing salads, desserts, and fruits; as well as cleaning work area and equipment used
- Assist in sanitation tasks of the dining operation. This includes working in the dish room and pot room, maintaining trash and recycling areas in dining center, sweeping and mopping, and wiping tables and counter tops
- Adhere to standards outlined by sanitation program (Serve Safe) and local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist in training of student worker staff
- Other duties as assigned or directed
Line of Report: The General Food Service Worker reports to the Resident Operations Manager.
- Current Serv Safe certification or the ability to obtain certification
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Proficient in communicating orally and in writing to customers, co-workers, and management
- Demonstrated ability to read and follow written instructions, menus, and production sheets
- Ability to perform simple arithmetic
- Good manual dexterity and good sight
- Ability to be mobile between workstations and numerous campus buildings
- Working knowledge of safety precautions associated with the food service industry
- Familiarity with basic cooking procedures which may include steaming, baking, deep frying, and grilling
- Demonstrated ability to utilize dining service equipment such as slicer, deep fryer, grill, and steamer
- Prior cashier experience
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
- Must be able to stand for periods up to 4 hours at a time, bend over, lift up to 50 pounds, and climb stairs
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter and resume by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/General-Food-Service-Worker_R524. The application deadline is October 11, 2023. Application review will begin after the deadline has passed. Please email recruiting [at] haverford.edu with questions about submitting your materials. Should the search committee be interested in pursuing your candidacy, you will hear from them directly. Finalists will be asked to provide three professional references.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.