General Food Service Worker
Haverford College invites applications to our available full time (37.5 hours per week), non-exempt, benefit eligible General Food Service Worker (GFSW) position.
The GFSWs perform a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of meals and sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the Dining Center. The positions require maintaining the highest level of customer service at all times. These positions are considered essential personnel, and will require early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities
- Assist in a variety of food preparation for student meals. Tasks may include slicing deli meats and cheeses; chopping vegetables; preparing salads, desserts, and fruits; and cleaning work area and equipment used
- Assist in preparation of catering meals as needed
- Serve meals to customers ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining the highest level of customer service; update temperature logs at each meal and communicate needs to cooks
- Maintain front of house serving areas including beverage stations, salad and deli bars, serving lines, snack and dessert areas, and dining room; ensure areas are fully stocked, visual presentation is correct, and areas are clean
- Work as cashier for the dining hall; swipe ID cards for students and guests who have a meal plan, and accurately process all cash transactions
- Familiarity with basic cooking procedures which may include steaming, baking, deep frying, and grilling
- Assist in sanitation tasks of the dining operation, including working in the dish room/ pot room, maintaining trash and recycling areas in dining center, sweeping and mopping, and wiping tables and counter tops
- Adhere to standards outlined by sanitation program (ServSafe) and local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist in training of student worker staff
- Other duties as assigned or directed
Line of Report
This position reports directly to the Supervisor or Sous Chef and manager on duty; indirectly to Associate Director and Director, and has no direct reports.
Education, Training, and Experience
- This position requires experience in food preparation in a large production volume environment (college / university setting preferred). Experience should also include catering preparation
- Working knowledge of safety precautions associated with the food service industry. Must have, or be able to maintain current ServSafe certification
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to utilize dining service equipment such as slicer, deep fryer, grill, and steamer
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions
- Is considered essential staff and must work during declared bad weather days
- Demonstrated ability to read and follow written instructions (menu/production sheets) and perform simple arithmetic
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly communicate verbally and in written format to process menu/production sheets
- Must be mobile between work stations and numerous campus buildings
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required for this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) 6-8 hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): 3-6 hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: 3-6 hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): 3-6 hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): 3-6 hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): 3-6 hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 3-6 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 6-8 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Never
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of vaccination (to include a booster dose when eligible) unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change over time with notice.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references as a single Word document or pdf by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/General-Food-Service-Worker_R457. The application deadline is February 8, 2023. Application review will begin after the deadline has passed.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.