Full Time Groundskeeper
Haverford College seeks to hire a full-time (40 hours per week), year-round, non-exempt, benefit-eligible Groundskeeper.
The Groundskeeper is responsible for landscape maintenance operations, including all elements of lawns, walks, and roadways. Minor hardscape repairs, maintenance of secondary areas, etc. This position is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during periods of inclement weather when the College is closed for a weather emergency.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
Able to perform manual labor such as litter pick-up and trash removal, cleaning of storm drains and curbs, raking and removal of leaves, removal of snow and the application of ice control materials, setting up chairs and bleachers for special events, clearing brush.
Able to operate basic power equipment and tools, such as small tractors, lawnmowers, string trimmers, edgers, leaf blowers, wood chippers, walk-behind blowers, and chain saws.
Apply fertilizers by hand and push the spreader.
Assist in turf renovation and repair.
Other duties as assigned.
Line of Report: This position reports to the Grounds Manager and has no direct reports.
Education, Training, & Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent is required
At least two years of experience in Grounds Maintenance is required.
Ability to interact with campus community in a positive manner is required.
- Possession of a valid U.S. Drivers’ License and ability to pass a Motor Vehicle Record Check
- Ability to obtain and maintain PA Act 153 Child Abuse Clearances (completed and submitted clearances to the Office of Human Resources are required before the first day of employment, or the start date may be delayed)
- All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of (to include a booster dose when eligible), unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
- This position is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during periods of inclement weather when the College is closed for a weather emergency.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required for this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Three to six hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Three to six hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Up to three hours
- Pulling (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Three to six hours
- Pushing (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction): Three to six hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving the entire body): Three to six hours
- Reaching or working above the shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from the body): Three to six hours
- Walking (to move the entire body in an erect position): Three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain the body in erect posture in a stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Three to six hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Three to six hours
- Kneeling (to maintain the upper body in an erect position while resting knees on the ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, or inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Three to six hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Three to six hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Six to eight hours
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references as a single Word document or pdf by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/details/Groundske.... The review of applications will begin on May 16, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled. Failure to provide the required documents may result in a lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.