Full Time Beverage Counter Worker
Haverford College seeks to hire a non-exempt, 40 hour per week, benefit eligible Beverge Counter Worker. The Beverage Counter Worker will perform a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of beverages, and a variety of retail items along with sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the COOP Library café and the Dining Center.
Position requires maintaining the highest level of customer service at all times. This year-round, full time, non-exempt hourly position requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed. This position is classified as an essential employee. Essential employees are required to report to work during inclement weather and campus emergencies.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Primary role is to serve as a cashier and provide stellar front-facing /customer service
- Welcomes customers by determining their coffee or beverage interests and needs
- Educates customers by presenting and explaining the coffee drink menu; answering questions
- Prepares and sells coffee drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques for coffee drinks, such as, espresso, espresso based drinks and brewed coffee
- Assist with generation of marketing ideas for the café, and attracting new customers, and defining new and expanded services and products.
- Maintains inventories by replenishing coffee bean supply; stocking coffee brewing equipment; maintaining supplies, pastries, and cookies grab and go items for café.
- Sustains equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling supervisor for repairs
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following Haverford Dining standards and sanitation regulations
- Enhances coffee shop reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to the role of barista
- Adheres to standards outlined by sanitation program (Serve Safe) and local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist in training of student worker staff
- All other duties as assigned or directed
Line of Report: The full time beverage counter worker has no direct reports.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to read and follow written instructions (menu/production sheets) and perform simple arithmetic
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs
- Must have solid reading, hearing, and speaking skills
- Must be mobile between work stations and numerous campus buildings
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
- Must be able to bend over / lift up and down, and climb stairs. Position requires ability to stand for periods up to 4 hours at a time
- Working knowledge of safety precautions associated with the food service industry. Must have, or be able to maintain current ServSafe certification
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions after hours, weekends, and holidays
- This position is classified as an essential employee. Essential employees are required to report to work during inclement weather and campus emergencies.
Education and Experience:
- This is an entry level position. Food service experience is preferred.
- Experience as a beverage counter worker in a college/university setting is a plus.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) three to six hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): up to three hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: three to six hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Six to eight hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): three to six hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Six to eight hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Three to six hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: Interested candidates should complete an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Barista_R281. The application deadline is Friday, April 30, 2021. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.