Director of Infrastructure Services and Shared Services
Haverford College seeks to hire a full time (37.5 hours), exempt, benefits eligible Director of Infrastructure and Shared Services.
The Director of Infrastructure and Shared Services) provides leadership for the College computing and communications infrastructure, which comprise the following: data centers; network; internet/intranet services; virtual infrastructure, including virtual and physical server operation, administration, and operating system environment; voice/telecom services; data storage environment; disaster and recovery services; and cybersecurity.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
Leadership and strategic direction of Technology Infrastructure and Operations
• Establish the technical vision and lead all aspects of development in support of the plans, objectives, and direction of the CIO and IITS as a division.
• Consult with departments on their technology plans and needs and establish effective working relationships with key stakeholders.
• Make recommendations and explain technology solutions to senior leadership through presentations and advocacy.
• Develop and implement standards for infrastructure operations and security, including protocols and improvements.
• Direct the design, specification, configuration, installation, and maintenance of campus cyber infrastructure and communication systems.
• Work with the CIO to determine financial priorities for technology infrastructure spending.
• Ensure services are user centric, clearly defined and documented, and that incident, change and problem management guidelines (as developed) are adhered to.
• Establish measurable service objectives and ensure effective unit operation.
• Analyze and organize department operations, procedures, and workflows.
• Lead project teams
• Partner with IITS colleagues to evaluate and acquire cloud services, hardware, and software.
• Evaluate job performance of employees and make recommendations for skills development, professional development, hiring, firing, promotions, and salary adjustments.
Develop and maintain business continuity and disaster recovery plans, procedures, and services
• Ensure data and communication systems are able to continue to operate in the event of the full/partial loss of College’s data centers, staff and system administrators, or the utilities which power them.
• Construct cost-effective, time sensitive recovery strategies and regularly verify viability
• Ensure that systems and services are redundant where possible on campus and when external dedicated or cloud services are to be used for recovery.
• Build and maintain collaborative working relationships with members of the campus community.
• Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
• Contribute to creating and maintaining an inclusive, positive work environment.
• Attend meetings and actively participate on committees.
• Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
• This position demands accuracy, honesty, integrity, and the ability to work off hours when needed.
Line of Report:
Reports to Chief Information Officer
Reporting to position: Network Engineer, Senior Network Engineer, Active Directory/Enterprise Administrator, IT Project Manager, Senior Systems Administrator, Infrastructure Service Specialist
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and directly related work experience
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience within an IT infrastructure/operations organization
- Proven track record of driving change
- Awareness of new emerging practices and technologies
- Demonstrated understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the academic, cultural and social diversity in the Haverford Community.
• Experience working in IT within higher education
• Demonstrated experience with developing and maintaining short- and long-term plans and budgets for technology infrastructure in a higher education environment
• Experience leading and managing technology infrastructure services in a small college or similar environment.
• Experience developing technology strategies related to cloud services, virtualization, VOIP, and network architecture
• Proven experience in developing a vision, roadmap, and implementing a successful technology framework
• Familiarity with operational and legal compliance requirements in a higher education environment
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Supervisory experience of IT staff and operations
• Project management expertise including managing multiple, concurrent projects, and meeting deadlines and budgets.
• Experience designing, implementing, and maintaining network and telecommunications services, with particular attention to security.
• Familiarity with a wide variety of infrastructure technologies including: data and voice network hardware and software; network security protocols and best practices; InCommon, Shibboleth, or other identity management tools; LDAP, Active Directory, and other authentication, authorization, and directory services; UNIX, Linux, MacOS, Windows, and other common OS platforms; server virtualization
• Excellent communication, leadership, and problem-solving skills in a diverse technical environment
• Ability to demonstrate tact, a positive attitude, courtesy and discretion in dealing with board members, faculty, staff, students, high-level college officials and the public.
• Ability to work independently as well as function effectively in a team and within a diverse group of people.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment in complex and new situations.
• Detail-oriented and willing to work in a changing environment.
• Upon hire, have a broad knowledge of, and abide by Haverford College policies and procedures, including but not limited to; Title IX and FERPA guidelines.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS REQUIRED OF THIS POSITION
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to three hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Six to eight hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: Interested candidates should complete an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/IITS-Dirof-Infrastructure-Services_R162. The application deadline is January 1, 2019. Failure to provide the required documents may result in failure for consideration.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.