Catering General Food Service Worker
Haverford College seeks to hire a full time (37.5 hours per week), twelve (12) month, non-exempt, benefit eligible Catering General Food Service Worker.
The Catering General Food Service Worker is responsible for a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of meals and sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the Dining Center. This position requires a high level of customer service at all times, and requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed. This position is also considered essential staff and must be available to work during inclement weather periods.
- Serve meals to customers, ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining the highest level of customer service
- Assist Catering Chef and Sous Chef with Prepping food for events
- Assist in the setup and serving of catered events
- Assist in basic food preparation for meals. Tasks may include slicing deli meats and cheeses, chopping vegetables, preparing salads, desserts and fruits, as well as cleaning work area and equipment used
- Familiarity with basic cooking procedures which may include steaming, baking, deep frying and grilling
- Assist in sanitation tasks of the fining operation. This includes working in the dish room, pot room, maintaining trash and recycling areas in dining center, sweeping and mopping, and wiping tables and counter tops.
- Adherence to standards outlines by local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist in training of student worker staff
- Other duties as assigned or directed
Line of Report
This position reports to the Sous Chef and Executive Chef.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Training, and Experience)
- One (1) year of previous food preparation experience, including basic cooking in commercial and/or institutional foodservice operation
Professional Competencies (Skills)
- Ability to read and follow recipes and production sheets
- Ability to properly use various knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to portion, cut, slice, score, julienne, whip, beat, or otherwise prep food
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to utilize dining service equipment such as slicer, deep fryer, grill and steamer
- Proficient in communicating orally and in writing to co-workers and management
- Previous cashier experience
- Previous catering food preparation experience
- All faculty and staff (including contract workers) who are employed or engaged by Haverford College, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, and provide proof of vaccination, unless an exemption from this policy has been granted as an accommodation or otherwise.
- Must have or be able to maintain current Serv Safe Certification.
- Must have or able to maintain Current Allertrain Certification.
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions held early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays as event schedule dictates.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required for this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): three to six hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to three hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three (3) references as a single Word document or pdf by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Catering-General-Food-Service-Worker_R304. The application deadline is February 5, 2022. Application review will begin after deadline has passed.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and providing equal opportunities and access to all individuals regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, disability, or veteran status. Women, non-binary and transgender individuals, people of color, Indigenous people, and those with other or multiple historically marginalized and/or underrepresented identities are especially encouraged to apply. Haverford College and our consortial partners are located on Lenape lands.