Catering General Food Service Worker
Haverford College seeks to hire a part time (32 hours per week), non-exempt, benefit eligible Catering General Food Service Worker. The Catering General Food Service Worker is responsible for a variety of duties associated with the preparation and service of meals and sanitation for board plan, summer conferences, and special events within the Dining Center.
This twelve-month position requires a high level of customer service at all times, and requires working early morning hours, evening hours, weekends and holidays as needed. This position is considered essential staff, and must work during declared inclement weather.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Serving meals to customers, ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining
- the highest level of customer service.
- Assist Catering Chef and Sous Chef with Prepping food for events
- Assist in the setup and serving of catered events
- Assist in basic food preparation for meals. Tasks may include slicing deli meats and
- cheeses, chopping vegetables, preparing salads, desserts and fruits, as well as cleaning
- work area and equipment used
- Familiarity with basic cooking procedures which may include steaming, baking, deep
- frying and grilling
- Assist in sanitation tasks of the fining operation. This includes working in the dish room,
- pot room, maintaining trash and recycling areas in dining center, sweeping and mopping,
- and wiping tables and counter tops
- Adherence to standards outlines by local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist in training of student worker staff
- All other duties as assigned or directed.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Must have 1-2 years’ previous food preparation experience, including basic cooking in
- commercial and/or institutional foodservice operation.
- Ability to read and follow recipes and production sheets
- Must have ability to properly use various knives, hand tools, utensils, and equipment to
- portion, cut, slice, score, julienne, whip, beat, or otherwise prep food
- Excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability to utilize dining service equipment such as slicer, deep fryer, grill
- and steamer
- Proficient in communicating orally and in writing to co-workers and management
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions
- Must have, or be able to maintain current Serv Safe certification
- Previous cashier experience preferred
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) six to either hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): three to six hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three hours
Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three hours
Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three hours
Walking (to move entire body in erect position): three to six hours
Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Six to eight hours
Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Never
Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: Interested candidates should complete an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/General-Food-Service-Worker-2_R165. The application deadline is February 13, 2019. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.