The annual performance evaluation process provides a regular, recurring opportunity to recognize achievement, and to offer constructive criticism and enhanced guidance to our staff as it pertains to their jobs. It is intended to encourage individuals to excel to their potential, inform them of their progress in meeting goals and objectives associated with the position they hold, and establish goals for the year ahead.
Due to the unprecedented year of COVID, please know the evaluation does provide areas of COVID-related segments as it applies to this year's process. The evaluation period will cover work performance from April 1, 2020 – March 31, 2021. All evaluations are anticipated to be completed and submitted via Workday by Tuesday, June 15, 2021.
The following steps are guidelines for conducting the performance evaluation:
- Job Description Review: Both the supervisor and staff member MUST review the staff member’s most recent job description on file. The need for any changes should be noted. There will be an opportunity to discuss the job description and any potential changes during the “face-to-face” meeting (#3.) Reviewing the job description will help to ensure that the performance evaluation is tied to the major responsibilities associated with the position.
- Evaluation: Keeping in mind their job description’s major responsibilities, the staff member should complete their self-evaluation in Workday. During this period, the supervisor should also complete their evaluation of the staff member. Once the self-evaluation and the evaluation are completed, a “face-to-face” meeting should be scheduled before the designated deadline.
- Face to Face Meeting: Given the COVID19 crisis, the “face-to-face” meeting can take place in different ways. Options include using Zoom video conference, telephone calls, and only if both people are comfortable, face-to-face meetings. During their meeting, the supervisor and the staff member should jointly discuss each of the staff member’s core competencies, reaching consensus, if possible, on those areas that are stronger, as well as those in which improvement is needed. In addition, the job description should also be reviewed and discussed. Should there be any changes to the job description, please contact the Office of Human Resources to discuss and determine next steps.
- Zoom: If you choose to use Zoom and have not yet registered for a Zoom account, please do so or contact the ProDesk for assistance. Sign in to Zoom
- In-Person: Please note if conducting a face-to-face meeting, it is important to keep a distance between one another (about 6 feet). For detailed information regarding safety during the Coronavirus crisis, please refer to How to Protect Yourself.
- Complete Evaluation: The completed evaluation should be acknowledged and submitted by both the staff member and the supervisor via Workday.
The following Job Aids are provided to assist in reviewing and conducting Performance Management in Workday.
- Workers with No Self-Evaluation
- Workers with Self-Evaluation
- Manager Evaluation of Direct Report(s)
- Zone/Shift Supervisor Evaluation of Report(s)
SMART Goals Tools
To assist in establishing clear and measurable goals, use the SMART Goals Guide. SMART is an acronym, where each goal is
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant)
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating)
- Achievable (agreed, attainable)
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based)
- Time bound (time-based, time limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive)