Assistant Director of Admission and Access and Diversity Initiatives
Haverford College seeks to hire a full time (at least 37.5 hours per week), exempt, benefit eligible Assistant Director of Admission and Access and Diversity Initiatives.
The Assistant Director is involved in all aspects of the general admission process: recruitment travel, interaction with prospective students and their families, interviewing, application review, and the selection of candidates. This position also holds responsibility for the coordination of our Access and Diversity Initiatives, and may include oversight and coordination of additional project areas, as assigned by the Dean and/or Director of Admission and depending upon specific skills and interests.
The position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to relate to a broad range of constituents (students, parents, alumni, high school counselors, etc.), an appreciation for and sensitivity to a variety of backgrounds and traditions from which students may come, an interest in issues of access, diversity, and inclusion, and the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
Specific list of responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
- Travel within a defined territory to visit high schools, attend college fairs and conferences, and interview students.
- Reading and evaluating applications and participation in the committee process for selecting candidates.
- Interviewing prospective candidates on-campus.
- Conducting information sessions.
- Answering admission inquiries from prospective students, parents, high school counselors, and others.
- Planning and implementing various on and off-campus programs and initiatives.
- Building and maintaining relationships with high schools and community-based organizations.
And may include, but not be limited to:
- Oversight of student volunteers and student employees (Access and Diversity Initiatives interns, student interviewers, overnight hosts, tour guides, and in-office hosts).
- Serving as liaison with other campus offices and/or departments.
- Oversight of project areas, as assigned.
- Working with alumni admission volunteers.
- Support of day-to-day admission processes.
Line of Report: This position reports to the Director of Admission, and has no direct reports (but will supervise work study students).
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- Driver’s License Required
- 2-4 years of experience in admission or related fields
- Must be available to work evening and weekends as needed
- Possession of a valid U.S. Drivers’ License, and ability to obtain and maintain Motor Vehicle Record check
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds): Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Never
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Never
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Never
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Up to 3 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Up to 3 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): 3-6 hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Never
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Never
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Never
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Never
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Never
To Apply: Interested candidates should complete an application, to include a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three (3) references by visiting https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Assistant-Director-of-Admission-and-Access-and-Diversity-Initiatives_R253. The application deadline is April 7, 2020. Failure to provide the required documents may result in lack of consideration. Haverford College does not sponsor work visas.
Haverford College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, disability or veteran status. Haverford has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the curriculum, classrooms, and communal composition of the College. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will foster their contribution to the College’s educational mission.