Always call Campus Safety (610) 896-1111. In case of an emergency, Campus Safety will call 911 for transportation to Bryn Mawr Hospital. Campus Safety officers are available 365 days of the year to respond to campus emergencies, and the Bryn Mawr Hospital Emergency Department is located less than 2 miles from campus.
- Cold Care Kit
Students can access cold care medications, BandAids, and temp dots for taking one's temperature at Campus Safety located in the Gardner Athletic Center. Open 24/7.
Health Services offers the following health care services:
- Allergy injections
- Alcohol and drug use information and counseling
- Anonymous HIV testing
- Contraception and sexual counseling
- Diagnostic tests (available in-house or at a local lab)
- Evaluation and treatment of illness and injury
- Medications and medication refills ordered by Health Services
- Nutrition and eating disorder information
- Physicals (driver, sports, and study abroad)
- Pregnancy testing
- Referrals to specialists as needed by the College's health care provider
- Resting area
- Treatment of sexually transmitted infections
- X-rays (performed at local facilities)
Stop by Morris Health Services or call (610) 896-1089 to make an appointment.
Substance Abuse Educator appointments available via email: Joye Shrager
24 hours notice is required for cancellation of an appointment. Missed appointments will be charged $25.00.
After Hours Care
Hours of Operation
During the academic year, Health Services is available to students Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and on Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For emergency care, call Campus Safety at 610-896-1111.
Injury, Illness, & Medical Emergencies
- For minor injury and/or routine care, please contact the Health Center (ext. 1089)
- For any emergency, please contact Campus Safety (ext. 1111)
Nutritional Conults/Eating Concerns
Many people find that they may have some features anorexia or bulimia or that they have some disordered eating patterns. Any kind of unhealthy preoccupation with food or your body image can interfere with relationships, social activities, schoolwork, sleep, and overall emotional well-being. At SHS we have nurse practitioners who are especially interested in helping students who are concerned about eating, their body image or who think they may have an eating disorder. You can make an appointment by calling 610.896.1089. You should schedule an appointment for a complete physical exam. These appointments will include reviewing medical history, doing a physical exam, and possibly arranging for lab work or other studies needed.
Haverford has a registered dietician, Natalie Zaparzynski (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please reach out to Natalie directly to schedule an appointment. If you have an eating concern, please do not hesitate to contact the Health Center (ext. 1089) or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at ext. 1290.
If a student indirectly refers to suicide, talks of suicide or makes suicidal gestures (especially if they are explicit: plans, times, dates, etc.), call Campus Safety immediately. Do not leave someone alone if they have attempted suicide or if suicide seems imminent. Ask another student to contact Campus Safety immediately.
Excuse Notes & Medical Leave
Health Services cannot offer you an excuse note for absences from class. If you do not feel well and must miss a class, you should immediately contact your professor and your Dean.
If you are seriously injured or ill and require emergency care or admission to the hospital, the Health Services Staff—with your permission—will contact your parents and the dean. The dean will inform your professors. Parents are notified of life threatening conditions.
Medical leave may be initiated by the student if they believe that physical and/or psychological health concerns are significantly interfering with their ability to succeed at Haverford and/or that the demands of college life are not consistent with recovery or safety. In unusual circumstances, the College may initiate medical leave for a student. If medical leave from the College is recommended please refer to Deans Office: Medical Leave.
To make an appointment for a test, please call (610) 896-1089. Your insurance can be billed for the cost of the lab service.
For your convenience, Health Services can perform several tests in our in-house CLIA certified laboratory. Results are given at the time of your visits. Tests performed in our lab include:
- Urine dip
- Pregnancy testings
- Wet mounts
- Quick strep testing
We can also send labs out for testing to Labcorp. Health Services has daily pick-up services Monday through Friday. Stat Laboratory Services are provided by Bryn Mawr Hospital Laboratory. If your insurance does not use Labcorp or is an out of state federal insurance (Medicaid), please notfiy Health Services prior to laboratory visit.
Our Registered Dietitian, Natalie Zaparzynski MA, RD, LDN, is available to support the Bi Co community with nutrition needs and dietary questions. She can be contacted by email Natalie Zaparzynski (email@example.com) or can be reached at (610) 526-7417.
Individual counseling is available by appointment.
- Healthy eating
- Weight management
- Sports nutrition
- Disordered Eating
- Food allergies
- Lactose intolerance
- Digestive Disorders
- Other nutrition and wellness concerns
The Dietitian consults with Dining Services on menu planning and recipe development, provides nutrition seminars, participates in the Body Image Councils on both campuses, and works with the gym and health center to achieve overall student wellness.
If you’re concerned about the ingredients of the recipes offered in the Dining Center, we have nutritional info available for your convenience.
Registered Dietitian Referral List
- Colleen Brawn, MA, RD, LDN
The Looking Glass Counseling Center
817 Summit Grove Ave, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
- Cathy D'Orazio, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN
300 Highland Lane, Bryn Mawr, PA 19010 or
2111 Darby Road, First Floor, Havertown, PA 19083
- Colleen Brawn, MA, RD, LDN
- Angela Grassi, RD
The PCOS Nutrition Center
551 West Lancaster Avenue, Suite 305, Haverford, PA 19041
- Main Line Health Care Outpatient Nutrition Services
(Including Bryn Mawr Hospital location)
Call (866) 225-5654
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m.
- Angela Grassi, RD
Bryn Mawr Hospital offers outpatient X-ray services in the Susquehanna Bank Building at 101 S. Bryn Mawr Ave., Bryn Mawr, PA 19010. No appointment is necessary, but please call (484) 337-3000 for registration instructions and hours.
Self-Care Cold Center and Condom Center
During the academic year, students may visit the Self-Care Cold Center and Condom Center during normal business hours. Over-the-counter medications for minor cold/flu symptoms and condoms are available free of charge.
Students who are feeling ill and have not improved in 2-3 days of self-treatment should see a health care provider.
If you are planning to spend time abroad you may need vaccinations, a physical exam, and/or HIV testing before departure. Health Services offers a variety of immunizations and testing.
- Contact Health Services to make an appointment with the Nurse Practitioner. Travel Health services are by appointment only during the following hours: Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Specify what country you intend to visit when making the appointment.
- The Travel Health Form should be printed, filled out, and brought to your appointment.
For travel needs and information when school is not in session you can contact:
Penn Travel Medicine
250 King of Prussia RD.
Jefferson travel Medicine Service
833 Chestnut Street
- Use the Centers for Disease Control website to determine the current travel health conditions in the country you wish to visit, and the required immunizations, if any.
- Find a Yellow Fever Vaccination clinic in the area.
- The US Department of State has a list of countries requiring HIV testing.
- The World Health Organization provides information on health risks for travellers.
Campus Safety transports only to the emergency room at the nearest hospital for a medical emergency. Students are responsible for their own transportation to routine/follow-up doctor appointments, routine X-rays and any other routine medical care.
- Bennett Cab Service Main Line Airport Shuttle: 610-525-1770
- Main Line Taxi: 484-436-4355
- Maxwell Cab: 610-896-5100
- Rosemont Cab: Service 610-525-1777
- Rosemont Taxi: 610-525-3797