Department of Philosophy
1. What I do in philosophy.
My work is mainly about Kant. Since Kant contributed to every area of philosophy, this is a little like saying that my work is mainly about philosophy. And I guess that's true. But more specifically, my work is about the philosophical concepts of "possibility", "actuality" and "necessity" — which I think contemporary accounts generally get wrong, and which I think Kant generally gets right.
More recently, I've started to think about the significance of these concepts within Kant's ethics: what it means, for example, when he says that it is necessary for us to do something.
2. What I am teaching in the spring.
- Phil. 106: "The Philosophy of Consciousness and the Problem of Embodiment".
- Phil. 203: "Philosophy and Its Enemies".
- Phil. 335: "Topics in Modern European Philosophy: Kant's System of Knowledge".
3. What I am like as a person.
I enjoy poetry and music and eating. My favorite poets are Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost. My favorite music is jazz. My favorite food is a pastrami sandwich.