The second institute will be held May 14-26, 2017.
The Ethical Leadership Summer Institute (ELSI) is an “experience accelerator” for Haverford students, with the goal of jumpstarting the formation of their professional identity and leadership growth. It reflects Haverford’s commitment to a multifaceted education that emphasizes ethical decision-making and choices.
ELSI offers participants a unique blend of theory and practice through:
- Conversations with highly-accomplished expert speakers, discussing challenging situations and ethical issues which they have confronted over their careers in a broad range of industries.
- Leadership skill-building opportunities, led by expert trainers.
- Readings and other materials which introduce frameworks for ethical inquiry and case studies.
- Seminar-style dialogues, focused on analyzing and debating ethical dilemmas, decisions, and consequences.
- A peer community that shares the same commitment to interrogating ethical issues, including the program’s expert speakers who are Haverford alumni.
- A two-week residential experience to concentrate intensely on questions on ethical leadership.
ELSI was piloted in May 2016, with the support of the Initiative for Ethical Engagement and Leadership.