Haverford students volunteer in co-curricular projects organized and supported by Eighth Dimension, Haverford’s community service organization.
Student leaders organize on-campus and off-campus service days, week-long service trips and manage weekly projects as part of a well-rounded liberal arts education. Eighth Dimension also provides guidance finding the right volunteer opportunity with non-profits in the Philadelphia region.
Haverford student-athletes also engage in a variety of community service activities and civic engagement projects, in individual teams and as the collective group of varsity athletes.
Eighth Dimension (8D)
8D is Haverford's community service organization. We are dedicated to fighting inequality and enacting change in our communities. We support students by making service inclusive, accessible and meaningful. By challenging their ideas about service and the communities they work with, we facilitate growth and learning. We aim to build relationships with, and advocate for, the groups we serve. Through connecting students with opportunities we provide tangible ways to engage outside the classroom.
- Facilitate opportunities for Haverford students to provide the needed services to the greater Philadelphia area and beyond.
- Support and facilitate both students-run projects and individual endeavors involved in community service.
- Increase the awareness of the need for community service to ensure that a well-rounded education extends beyond the classroom.
- Fall/Halloween Theme Event
- Housing Ownership Assistance Program (HOAP) rebuilding trips (Spring Break)
- Hunger Auction (Week before Thanksgiving)
- Easter Egg Hunt (Saturday before Easter)
- Serendipity Day Camp (Summers)
- One-on-One Tutoring
- Bethel Tutoring/AMIGOS
- Mentor for Philly
- Overbrook Tutoring
- Street Outreach
- Stitch n Bitch
- Books Through Bars
- Petey Greene
- AIDS Service Network
- Haverford and Hospitals