Practice makes perfect in most situations, and interviewing for internships and job interviews is no exception. Successful candidates are ones who take the time to research the industry and prospective employers carefully and to practice their interview skills.
- Download the Interviewing Guide and review our tips on interview preparation, sample interview questions, interview types, day-of-the-interview advice, what to do after the interview, and much more.
- Know what the position entails and research the organization and industry using Firsthand, IBISWorld, and your own web searches.
- Know yourself so that you can communicate how your experiences, skills, and accomplishments relate to the position.
- Be able to effectively communicate how your background aligns with the position and organization using concrete examples. Use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Response) or PAR (Problem, Action, Result) methods to tell your story.
- Confirm logistics and prepare an appropriate outfit ahead of time. Check with the CCPA if you are unsure about what’s appropriate for the sector you’re applying to.
- Predict what types of questions the hiring committee will ask you. Use GlassDoor, Handshake Reviews, advice from alumni, and your career advisors. Questions will usually cover five areas: education, experience, career goals, skills/abilities and knowledge of the organization.
- The interview process is a two-way street; not only are you being interviewed, but you are also interviewing the employer. Prepare 2-3 questions to ask them.
Alumni who can offer industry-expertise in interview situations are available to help. Log onto Haverford Connect to find alumni volunteers. Mock interviews and networking meetings can be made directly through the system.
We encourage you to schedule your mock interview as far in advance as possible. Use Handshake to schedule a meeting with a career advisor.
Reserve an Interview Room
If you need a quiet space to have a phone or video interview, you can reserve a room in the CCPA office suite. We have reliable wifi and cell service as well as hardwire internet connections and landlines.
hc-ccpa [at] haverford.edu (subject: Interview%20Room%20Request) (Request a Room )