Did You Know?
Haverford's name is derived from the Welsh word for "goat crossing".
Haverford has a need blind admission policy for U.S. citizens and permanent residents.
Robert Ludlum's book Trevayne features a character who attended Haverford.
The C.C. Morris Cricket Library boasts the largest collection of cricket literature and memorabilia in the western hemisphere..
Haverford’s campus is an arboretum with 19 state champion trees and approximately 3.25 trees for every student.
As of the 2008-09 academic year, there are 1169 students from 45 states and 38 countries.
Haverford has the only varsity cricket team in the U.S., led for over 25 years by coach Kamran Khan.
Ira DeAugustine Reid, a sociologist, was one of the first African-American professors at a northern liberal arts college, joining Haverford in 1948 from Morehouse College where he had been a mentor to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
70% of Haverford's faculty live on campus.
Philip Noel-Baker, a visiting student from England in 1906-07, would go on to captain the British track team upon which the movie Chariots of Fire is based, and later won the 1959 Nobel Peace Prize.
Haverford’s library houses a cricket collection (athletic, not entomological).
The campus crosses two counties - Montgomery and Delaware - and one of the faculty houses is actually on the county line.
In the first intercollegiate soccer match in America, Haverford defeated Harvard.
In the summer of 1968, Haverford College played host to Serendipity Day Camp for the first time.
The student-faculty ratio is 8:1, and 85% of classes have enrollments of 25 students or fewer.
The Alumni Association held its first annual public meeting on July 28, 1857.
Haverford was founded in 1833 by a group of New York and Philadelphia Quakers..
In 1997, Karl Paranya ’97 became the first (and still only) Division III athlete to run a sub–four-minute mile, clocking 3:57.6.
The Friends' School - later named Haverford school, and then Haverford College - opened in October 1833 with 21 students.
In January of 1897 the freshman class initiated Haverford's first honor system, after petitioning President Isaac Sharpless.
The College’s first female undergraduate student was Marlis Gildemeister, who received her BA from HC in 1944 as a special student. Haverford went fully co-ed in 1980 after admitting women as transfer students in the 1970s.
Haverford has at least one alumnus to make People magazine’s “Sexiest Man Alive” list—Daniel Dae Kim ’90, actor from Lost.
The Penn Treaty elm, planted in 1915, is a descendant of the American Elm under which William Penn signed his treaty with the Native Americans.
English gardener William Carvill laid out the grounds of the campus.
The campus is an arboretum and there are approximately 3.25 trees to every student.