All faculty, staff, and students traveling abroad will need a valid passport.

The College also requires parents/guardians of students to have a valid passport for the period of time the student is abroad. In the unlikely event of an emergency, parents/guardians need to be prepared to travel abroad as quickly as possible.

A passport book is an essential item for travel, as it allows you to prove citizenship and enter and exit countries.

Processing for passport applications can take as long as four to six weeks, so travelers are strongly encouraged to apply early. If you need your passport sooner, you may need to pay for expedited processing.

If you already have a passport, make sure your name is correct, and that the expiration date is over six months after your date of return. If your passport expires before this allotted time, you must apply for a renewal. You will need to apply as a first time applicant if your passport was issued to you before the age of 16.

For the most up-to-date information on passports, to apply for a passport, or to check on the status of a current passport application, visit

Under special circumstances, U.S. citizens who will be traveling during the time that they need to obtain a visa may apply for a second passport, known as a Duplicate Passport. These duplicate passports are typically valid for 1-2 years. This might be a solution to those traveling to two countries requiring a visa. For example, Haverford students who are abroad for the summer, and will be studying abroad in a different location for the fall.

Obtaining a second passport requires a current passport, a photocopy of driver’s license, two passport photos, proof of travel (computer-generated itinerary showing departure from the U.S.), an authorization letter, a letter of request (handwritten, explaining reason for second passport request), government fees ($170), and a passport application.