Haverford students, faculty, and staff who travel on college funded, affiliated, or sponsored programs are required to have personal medical, dental and mental health coverage for the entire duration of their stay abroad.

We also recommend that all faculty and staff traveling abroad have a comprehensive medical insurance policy. The type and amount of insurance are personal decisions, depending on the medical needs of the individual, the destination country, and the availability of personal insurance from outside resources.

It is the responsibility of the individual traveler to make an informed decision regarding appropriate health care insurance coverage abroad, and to ascertain that their health insurance works abroad. Students should consult with parents or guardians.

Some study abroad programs may require the purchase of a special insurance policy which covers students while in the host country. However, the program insurance may not cover students outside the host country, which is important if students travel while abroad. Contact the program directly for any questions.

Haverford College Health Services does offer a comprehensive policy for Haverford students traveling abroad. Faculty and staff should contact the Human Resources Office for policy and coverage information.

Supplemental Travel Insurance

Haverford does not endorse a specific policy, but students and faculty have used these organizations in the past:

Emergency Travel Insurance

Haverford has purchased international emergency medical insurance, including medical evacuation and repatriation insurance, for faculty, staff, and students traveling on approved international travel through ACE Travel Assistance Program. This works in excess to any coverage provided to a regular plan, and should not be considered a replacement for purchasing regular travel health insurance. This policy provides medical assistance (including referral to a doctor or medical specialist, emergency medical evacuation), personal assistance (pre-trip medical referral information, emergency medication while abroad, lost document assistance) and travel assistance in emergencies.

Faculty and Staff Insurance

For Haverford faculty and staff traveling abroad on College-related business, consider the following points to discuss with Human Resources before departing:

  • Dependents—Whether they become ill or are injured, an eligible, covered spouse, other qualified adult, and/or dependents accompanying you on your College business trip must file their claims through their usual medical insurance provider. If you are unsure about how to file claims when you are out of the state or out of the country, check with your medical insurance provider before you leave.
  • Open Enrollment—If you will be away from campus during the annual open enrollment period (usually held in October), Human Resources can make arrangements to send materials to you while you are abroad.
  • Beneficiary—Before departing on your trip, make sure your beneficiary information is up-to-date in regards to your life insurance policy through Haverford, including all dependent and spousal contacts.